Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Question?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Question?

I picked up two American Express cards in April of 2008.  One of them was a Preferred Gold Card and the other was the Amex Blue.  Those accounts have been falling under new credit for me since April.

Well I realized that I was on my sister's account since 2001 as an authorized user and I just gave Amex a call tonight.  They are going to send me new cards with member since date of 2001 versus 2008 on the Gold and Blue cards.

Will this do anything to my FICO score and will it report to the credit bureaus to change the new accounts to older accounts?

Thanks in Advance--TheTaxMan

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Re: American Express Question?

I am pretty positive it will not affect your reports except your membership date on your cards.
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 2 of 8
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have an Amex, so I don't know how it is going to report. But, if it did report as 2001 for the two accounts, your AAoA will go up and quite possibly put you in a different age bucket.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
scoppe
New Contributor

The only thing that will change is your Member Since date on your card, as stated above. Amex will not report the new accounts as having been opened since 2001, as they did not exist then.   Sorry.

However, mistakes are sometimes made, and the date that gets reported may reflect the same as the member since.  It's not something I would count on, just be happy if it does.

I wish you well.

Message Edited by scoppe on 12-11-2008 03:18 PM

Starting Score: EQ 650 TU ???
Current Score: EQ 683 TU 777
Goal Score: EQ 750 TU 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The good news

I just got off the phone with American Express and it seems the years will be added to the account and that will be a big AA jump for me.  Thanks to all on the forum!!!

TheTaxMan

Message 5 of 8
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The good news

Good news. Congrats.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure if it happens every time, but when I applied for an AmEx about a year ago, they backdated my account to my dad's AmEx that was opened in 1984 and shows on my "member since" portion of my card. This is also reflected on my credit reports and in my FICO scores.
Message 7 of 8
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Does wonders for your credit length, particularly if you were like 6 or something when dad opened his card.

rengler2208 wrote:
I'm not sure if it happens every time, but when I applied for an AmEx about a year ago, they backdated my account to my dad's AmEx that was opened in 1984 and shows on my "member since" portion of my card. This is also reflected on my credit reports and in my FICO scores.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.