cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex.....More of a problem than it's worth?

tag
UnderEstimated
Contributor

Re: Amex.....More of a problem than it's worth?

Then call them and explain that your past purchases are "regular spending" activity for you.
Message 11 of 18
fused
Moderator Emeritus

KDM:

My experience with them has been great.  If they try and pull a fast one on me, then I will divorce them.  But I'm not going to let others people's bad experiences with Amex get me to excited...at least not now.
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fused, I haven't had any problems with them either.

I guess I'll just follow your lead and not bother myself with things that haven't happened to me. 

Sure wish they'd start reporting my accounts though.
Message 13 of 18
fused
Moderator Emeritus

KDM wrote:
Fused, I haven't had any problems with them either.

I guess I'll just follow your lead and not bother myself with things that haven't happened to me. 

Sure wish they'd start reporting my accounts though.

Here are my only beefs with them.  My Blue care opened in 12/06 and started reporting to EQ and TU within 60 days.  It still does report to EX.

I opened my Gold card on 4/16/07 and it reported to EX and TU within 30 days, and then about two weeks ago on EQ.

I will caution you on the Gold card.  Amex reports your statement bal and the CRA's show it like a maxed out card.  This month I will stop charging about 5 days before the closing date and PIF, that way my statement balance will be $0 and not report a maxed out looking TL.  Similar situation here as Cap1, except they choose not report CL whereas Amex cannot with this no prest-limit thing.
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Latest bizarro Amex story:

Guy's wife receives Delta card with 2K limit on Saturday. Uses card at Body and Bath Works on Sunday, no problem. An hour later, she tries to use card at the grocery store, and is declined.

Wife immediately calls Amex and they tell her that she needs to call Amex from her work location on Monday, and have a co-worker get on the line with the Amex rep to verify her identity. Until then, she can't use her card.

Besides the fact that declining her card the second time she tries to use it is wacko, that is a rather lame method to "verify" someone's identity. Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 18
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Revike wrote:
Latest bizarro Amex story:

Guy's wife receives Delta card with 2K limit on Saturday. Uses card at Body and Bath Works on Sunday, no problem. An hour later, she tries to use card at the grocery store, and is declined.

Wife immediately calls Amex and they tell her that she needs to call Amex from her work location on Monday, and have a co-worker get on the line with the Amex rep to verify her identity. Until then, she can't use her card.

Besides the fact that declining her card the second time she tries to use it is wacko, that is a rather lame method to "verify" someone's identity. Smiley Happy

It has never happened to me or anyone I know.  Like I said in an earlier post, if Amex or any ccc did that to me and I have no baddies with them, I would divorce them at once.  I do not care about my FICO scores dropping a little.  It just bad business and it's my right to dump em. 
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Amex Blue for students and have never had a problem with them. They are always nice and courteous- post payments the fastest I have seen out of any CC- sometimes my Chase's take up to three days to post, and their customer service is excellent.

I plan to stay with them for a very long time, and look forward to having my CL increased well over the years.
Message 17 of 18
lwill023

I experienced same thing with my new Delta card that was activated earlier this month.  I decided to use card for my daily spending so I can cancel my other cc which is a 500 secured cc.  After using it for a lil more than a week, all transactions was declined.  After calling them I too must call from work so they can call me on my work phone and/or have someone do some form of voice recognition. Yeah I know I made several transactions spread out over that time (gas,dinner,cell bill, Jack n Box) but locking it out so soon, and never given the opportunity to show them my spending habits, and the fact I pay all bills, make several small and large purchases with cc and then pay in full, either at once or with multiple payments during month depending on how much I spend. This is so discouraging.  I had switched nearly all of my bills setup for auto pay from secured cc to amex, I'm just not comfortable nor have faith that this won't happen again so I'm switching them back to secured card. Guess I'll have to keep secured card until I get another unsecured card to replace it.  I'm going to try my best to explain this to security dept tomorrow after they verify I'm me, that I can use my card almost daily for all types of purchases, small and large, and sometimes after no activity my spending picks up again.  If this security thing keeps up in future, this card will be in sock drawer, then closed after approx 6 months or so if not already closed for inactivity.     
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.