cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex.....More of a problem than it's worth?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex.....More of a problem than it's worth?

I'm beginning to wonder if I made a mistake getting my Amex cards.  I don't care if they do a F/R.  They can see my tax return if they want.  What I don't care for is that they apparently randomly deny charges without warning, even though you have available credit. 

If I have credit available, I want to know that I can use it without worrying that the charge is going to be randomly denied.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex.....More of a problem than it's worth?

KDM wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder if I made a mistake getting my Amex cards.  I don't care if they do a F/R.  They can see my tax return if they want.  What I don't care for is that they apparently randomly deny charges without warning, even though you have available credit. 

If I have credit available, I want to know that I can use it without worrying that the charge is going to be randomly denied.

We both received our Gold cards around the same time.  I was concerned they might deny certain charges because the ones I make are big.  For instance, my employer travels for business monthly and has big expenses (so far up to $5500 a month).  I charge his airfare, hotel and car on my gold card the business reimburses me.  I was concerned Amex would deny the charge but so far all is good.  When my father was a cardholder and made very large purchases say over 10k, Amex would call his bank to verify if he had funds available to cover the charge, then bam approved.  I would not worry about it.Smiley Happy

The great thing for me is all of these charges are with partners of Amex so I get 2 points for every dollar spent.
Message 2 of 18
UnderEstimated
Contributor

If you're getting denied, there is a reason.  It was happening to me when I first got my AMEX.  They would lock my account after so many purchases.  I found out the reason was they had my annual salary incorrect as $10,000 (even though I applied with the correct one which is much more).  Also, I told the representative that I make several large purchases each month and this was "regular" spending for me.  No unapproved/denied charges since then.
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

My purchases have never been denied.  I've had no problem.  I have read many posts from people who have though.  I don't understand a ccc denying a purchase when your account is in good standing and you have the available credit.  That's what bothers me and it seems like they're playing games.
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Simple to correct. Call the bank or credit card company, in this case Amex. Have them note and remove these restrictions off your account for that type of spending. For instance, I can buy $10,000 worth of computers even if there is no use on my card for a while. But if I buy $2,000 of bedding the transaction will be denied. I had luck maybe it will work for you. I told them that I go on weird random spending sprees after months of no activity. But limited to specific spending groups (computer area). Now nothing in that group is denied.

I will tell you this. And very special about Amex. I had a very expensive (thousands) dispute that Amex made good on. Amex was the only company that stood behind me and they were not refunded. My big purchases are done with my Amex card. They protect you much more than other banks when it comes to large purchases. They have earned my business. Think of the hassle it can be when you need to dispute an expensive charge. $100, $200. Sure, most banks will honor the dispute *if* the merchant refunds the money. But what happens if it is $5000, $10,000. Good luck with that dispute. But with Amex, they will still stand behind you. Smiley Happy Worth it!
Message 5 of 18
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

You have to remember that with Amex comes greater responsibility. In return Amex rewards you. The perks and CLIs far exceed its competitor cards, IMO.
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems that they're treating their credit cards like charge cards with the "invisible" credit limit.  Why give an established cl if they're not going to honor it?
Message 7 of 18
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

KDM wrote:
It seems that they're treating their credit cards like charge cards with the "invisible" credit limit.  Why give an established cl if they're not going to honor it?

I hear you... and they honor it... but sometimes make cardholders jump through extra hoops. Their generosity with CLI and rewards is worth it to me.  
Message 8 of 18
UnderEstimated
Contributor

As frustrating as it seems sometimes, it is a good safety net for unauthorized purchases.  And for me, it only took a simple phone call to let them know and it fixed the problem.  I use my AMEX all the time because of the security it has and...I won't lie, the rewards.  And since I pay it full each month, it practically has become my "debit" card.
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand what you're all saying about it being a security measure.  I see it as micromanaging your account without reason. 

If Amex sees fit to grant you a credit card, and you keep it in good standing, then there is no reason for them to micromanage, especially if you're @ or below 30% of your cl. 
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.