Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Oasis ?????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Oasis ?????

I had an Amex Several years ago, it went bad and I paid a settlement amount that they offered me (this was 2 years ago). I am on as an authorized user on my wifes amex card. Do i have to pay the difference in the settlement amount and the orginal debt before amex might consider me for a card or the Oasis program?

Thanks
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
sl
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Oasis ?????

Yes, in order to get another AMEX, you need to pay off the settlement amount.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

jguglietta wrote:
I had an Amex Several years ago, it went bad and I paid a settlement amount that they offered me (this was 2 years ago). I am on as an authorized user on my wifes amex card.

When did you get AU status on your wife's CC?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

About 2 years ago, as soon as she opened the account. This was a few weeks after I paid the settlement offer to AMEX
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

jguglietta wrote:
About 2 years ago, as soon as she opened the account. This was a few weeks after I paid the settlement offer to AMEX

Hmmmmmm. Interesting. By settled you mean settled for less than the full amount?

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, not sure of the exact number but i settled a $2000.00 account for about $1200.00. I had no problem being added to my wifes Jet Blue Amex Card.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

jguglietta wrote:
Yes, not sure of the exact number but i settled a $2000.00 account for about $1200.00. I had no problem being added to my wifes Jet Blue Amex Card.

I'm tempted to say go ahead and call the Oasis numbers (start of this thread). Inquire about it. Play dumb. Tell 'em you had this AMEX account that went into default, and you think you paid it off in full, but you're not sure. They keep meticulous records.

If they say you don't owe anything, might have your wife call and see about making you a joint account holder on the Jet Blue.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another question about the Oasis program...Many moons (1991) ago, my mother got this card in my name and added herself on as an AU. I had no knowledge until I came home from school one weekend and got the mail. By the time I attempted to use the card, my mother had racked up a cool $4K and defaulted on it. Needless to say, I won't be sending mom to the county lock up, but I would like to pay. I don't have $4k sitting around. It is sitting, but it is so tied up between investments, 401s and 529s (which I can't touch anyway), I'd need a payment plan. So my questions are (before I call them):

Do they allow payments until PIF?
Typically how many payments to "get her done"?

I want this finalized as my company gives the AX skymiles guaranteed as employees and I want one!!!!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kittw1,

First, there's no danger of Mom going to the hoosegow. SOL on fraud has long since run.

I would call the Oasis numbers, and ask. Tell them something to the effect of:

Years ago, my Mom applied for a card in my name and without my knowledge. I think it eventually went into default, but I'm not sure. My Mom might have paid it off, but I just don't remember. This was from probably 15 year ago or more.

Let them check. Might not be in their files. But, if it is, continue to explain further.

I never signed for anything, and my Mom applied for it in my name. Would I need to pay it off before American Express would issue me a card?

I've read accounts of AMEX exhibiting a surprising amount of GW at times. If they do demand payment, ask 'em whether you can do payments.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.