Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amusing mailings from Capital One

tag
MattH
Senior Contributor

Amusing mailings from Capital One

My wife and I got the exact same offers on the exact same day from Capital One, offering their Venture Rewards cards. It is not unusual for us both to get the same offers on the same day, since we both have high FICO scores and so forth. What WAS interesting and amusing is, for the same substantive terms, we got slightly different styles of envelope and small differences in how the form letters were worded (usually when both of us get the same pitch on the same day, only names differ). So they must have multiple variations in such details, which are changed around based on some subtle marketing algorithm intended to maximize the response rate. Won't work for us, neither feels the need for more credit cards at present.

Anybody else remember the early days of mail-merge computerized form letters, when your name would be mentioned multiple times in the body of the letter? They don't do that any more…
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Amusing mailings from Capital One

I remember the mulitline name offers from those prize companies but not CCs.  I do notice that CC offers have a lot of stufff on opting out though.

LOL I see BofA taunting me with a pre-approval offer were my name is mentioned several times that I don't have the guts to apply.  They would be right.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 4
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

They amuse me as well. They keep sending me balance transfer checks to transfer balances from my "high APR cards" but their card is by far the highest APR of all my cards, so I'll never carry a balance, no matter how small. The BT offers are at their regular rate, to boot! I plan to axe them soon. I get tired of shredding their worthless mailings.

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 3 of 4
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

@SpiceIslander wrote:

[...] They keep sending me balance transfer checks to transfer balances from my "high APR cards" but their card is by far the highest APR of all my cards [...] The BT offers are at their regular rate, to boot! I plan to axe them soon. I get tired of shredding their worthless mailings.

Same here. I have a balance from a 0% balance transfer. They are regularly emailing me telling me how great it'd be to transfer a balance at my purchase rate while I'm in the middle of paying off my 0% BT.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.