Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An epiphany!

tag
skigirl916
Established Contributor

An epiphany!

Today I realized that building good credit is a lot like losing weight and sculpting a great physique.  My weight goes up and down.  I'll get on a healthy kick to lose weight, and have some success, see some results on the scale and my pants loosening up, and think, "Look! Results! I've done it! I can keep doing it!" But then, I think that my results have given me some leeway to be naughty, and next thing I know, I find myself giving in to multiple strawberry margaritas and chips and salsa at Chevy's, instead of iced tea and fajitas.

In the same way, I see my credit score go up, and I think, "Yippee! Results! Now I have room to play!" and I feel an itch to apply.  Argh.  So hard to resist!! 

I need to start smacking myself up the head.  Off to the garden I go!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
keithB
Established Contributor

Re: An epiphany!

Great analogy Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
BGoneDebt
Contributor

Re: An epiphany!

I love your analogy, and I feel the same exact way.

For years I let both my physical and credit health slide because I was young and thought I was invincible.  Took a few weeks in he hospital to cure me of my delusionary outlook for my health and now, 80 pounds lighter and much healthier I've move forward, tracking every single day.

I took a good hard look at my credit the same way, and applied the same principles - Track everything, every day.  No cheating without acknowledgement.  Okay to have/do something "bad", just own up and move on, but write it down.  I pull my credit regularly without cringing now.

It's all good, and we're stronger people for making the commitment to be and do better.  And I like that I'm setting a good example for my daughter as well.

Good luck (and enjoy those strawberry margaritas once in a while)

Starting Score: TU 584 EQ 560 EX 686
Current Score: TU 716 EQ 677 EX 714
Goal Score: 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.