cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An experiment I'd like to share with the group.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

An experiment I'd like to share with the group.

I started a case today with the lawfirm that services my pre-paid legal. I am going to ask them to help me deal with some of the nastier JDB's on my reports. I plan on asking many questions and having them ultimately "write" some letters for me (in other words pasting my letters on their letterhead) in order to compel the creditors to follow the law. I would like to post all of the activity and results on this thread so that others can look at it. I know that the advice they give me will not apply to those in other states necessarily, but one of the purposes of this is to see if the lawfirm in question is aware of or agrees with much of what we talk about here on the board. I think it will be an interesting experiment and who knows, it may even work!

I'd like to hear if any of you are even interested in hearing about what I learn because if not I won't bore you all with it. I want to give something back to the board because you have already helped me so much.
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: An experiment I'd like to share with the group.

I'm always open for learning!! Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 28
bott6698
Established Contributor

Sure, Please share thanks
10/11/2017 EQ 640 TU 639 EX 652 12/10/2016 EQ 621 TU 607 EX 626 10/10/16 EQ566 TU591 EX 587
01/31/2008 EX 502 EQ 466 TU 481
3/14/2008 EX 578 EQ 539 TU 543
4/16/2008 EX 622 EQ 532 TU 578
5/19/2008 EX 604 EQ 591 TU 592
1/1/2009 EQ 625 EX 576 TU 569
02/13/2009 EQ 648 EX 617 TU 590
09/28/2009 EQ 568 TU 591
Thanks to all Fico supporters for your encouragement and advice
Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Free is for me!
Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, please do let us know what happens!

I suspect they may not be willing to do it, however.  They shouldn't send a letter under their own name if they don't even understand that area of the law.
Message 5 of 28
dtown66
Valued Member

Great idea.....I'm all in..Will keep an eye on this post for sure!!!!
Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I got my first call back from the atty. I gave her a brief rundown of what was going on, and she said that she would definitely write letters for me. We agreed that since there are several accounts to work on and explanation and documents for each, that I would send her an email for each creditor with details, and she would create a seperate file for each of them and that once she reviewed everything, we would discuss exactly what action she would take with each. She never gave any indication that she couldn't or wouldn't deal with these issues and noted how "strange" the creditor's responses had been. Not a bad start.
Message 7 of 28
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

I am most definately interested in reading or seeing posts from things they have told you, mock letters, etc..seems like a lot of good info i would think
~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, Here's what I sent to the lawyer. I will do a seperate post for each account because they may be too long. I will then post her responses to each one. Please note that I play dumb here a little bit because I want to hear what she has to say about it. Smiley Happy

Subject: Harvard Collections/Sprint         

Let me start by saying that I have tried to handle these issues by myself as much as possible. The goal is not to avoid paying valid debts. During the process of cleaning up my credit, I have also rehabilitated a student loan and a credit card, and paid off a couple of the small collections. My goal here is to make sure I’m not being extorted by collection agencies, especially for debts that aren’t mine. I have done a lot of reading on the internet to try and make sure that while I act within my rights, that I also follow the law. I just want the entities that I deal with to do the same. I am including many assumptions in my descriptions based on my reading, and hope that you can confirm or correct my assumptions during this process.

Here is some history. Back in September 07 (when I started monitoring my credit) I saw an entry from a company called Allied Interstate with Sprint as the original creditor for $187. I didn’t know what this was for, so I disputed the item with the credit bureaus and it was removed. I never got any letters or notices so I assumed it was a mistake and it was taken care of.

On 12/24/07, I received an alert from my credit monitoring service that a derogatory account had been added to my Experian credit report. It was from Harvard Collections with Sprint as the original creditor for $187. When I checked my 3 in 1 report I saw that the item was actually on all 3 major credit reports. I had not received any correspondence from them of any kind, so I was never given the 30 day time period within which to dispute the debt and obtain copies of their records. According to what I have been reading online they had 5 days from the date that they posted the account to notify me of what they had done and why. I waited nearly 15 days because I assumed there would be delays from the holidays, but I still received nothing. I sent the attached letter to them via certified mail (I have the return receipt if you need it) and asked them for proof of what this bill was and that it was mine. I then disputed that account with all 3 credit bureaus. A Harvard rep signed for my letter on January 9th but never responded to it. They verified the accounts with all 3 bureaus so they are still on my reports. According to my research, a collection agency doesn’t have to respond to a debt validation request, but if they choose not to respond, they cannot proceed with collection efforts, up to and including reporting to credit bureaus. Since they have chosen not to validate the debt, do they not waive their right to collect it?

According to the info on the credit report, this bill is from 2004. I didn’t have a Sprint phone at that time, and as a matter of fact didn’t even have a home phone. For the first part of that year I was living with friends and didn’t have ANY utilities in my name, so I really don’t know what this is about. I am hoping that you can either persuade them to give me the information about the debt that I have asked for so that I can determine if it is mine or to admit that they don’t have the proof I’ve asked for and leave me alone.

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Subject: Collection Bureau of America

This one is a little different than Harvard. I am ready to go to war with these people. I saw that they had a collection account listed on my reports and sent them a debt validation letter. They sent a letter back to me refusing to validate because they claimed they sent me a letter back in 2006, which they did not, and that they only had to validate the debt if I asked them to within 30 days of the original letter. Once again, I was under the impression that if they refused to validate a debt then that indicated that they didn’t have the records to support it and therefore should not report it. I sent them a 2nd demand letter to either validate or remove and they did not respond at all. They have never sent me any letters and even now do not send me any bills or anything, even though they have my current address.

When I sent the first validation letter, I had no idea what the debt was for, but in their response their letterhead said Sierra Springs. I had set up an account with them a long time ago when commissions at work had been good, but then I couldn’t keep up with it. I owed them somewhere around $60 and I called them and asked them to pick up the water cooler machine from my house and they refused. They said they would not take back the equipment unless I paid the past due balance. At the time I could not do that so they didn’t pick up the machine. I still have it to this day, sitting in my garage waiting to be returned. I imagine that this huge bill is them charging me for that machine. I may be being a little stubborn about this, but I’m very frustrated with their business practices. MY ideal solution to this matter is to negotiate with Sierra Springs to return the machine and pay for the WATER that I had already been billed for (no more than $100), but I want this collection removed, because A) I should not have been charged for an item that they refused to take back and B) I should not be forced to pay a bill for which I have no information whatsoever. Can you help me with this one?

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.