fuggy

Annual Fee caused a late payment...now what?

A credit card that I NEVER use charged an annual fee to my account, which I did not notice, and then a late payment since I did not pay it. I called the bank and closed the card immediately and the waived the fee and late payment amount. I just got an alert from my fico that my score dropped 50 points! Ordered a copy of my credit report and sure enough, they reported me 30 days late. What to do now? I am sure the next time they report it will show a zero balance and a closed account. What about the late payment? Should I dispute this? Just when I was approaching 700, WHACK! 50 POINTS!
Regular Contributor
dazednconfused

Re: Annual Fee caused a late payment...now what?

I would try to GW it.
Contributor
devhip

Yes, GW it. Technically they reported it accurately, as much as it sucks. I'd get the contact info for a supv. and humbly appeal to them for help. You certainly didn't deserve it, but that's the caveat of those annual fee cards.
fuggy

sorry, not familiar with the terminology here. GW?
Regular Contributor
dazednconfused

Good will letter.  Go to this and hit the GW at the bottom.  There are some examples of letters posted by Tuscani there. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=ficoscoring&thread.id=2654

Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

Was the AF not on your bill?
fuggy

I made the terrible mistake of not opening the bill. 99% of my bills are ebills so when I get the paper bills they go into the shredder. I never used this card so I just assumed a zero balance each month.
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

Doh!

Well, hopefully the GW works. :smileyhappy: Good luck!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}