Annual Fee caused a late payment...now what?

A credit card that I NEVER use charged an annual fee to my account, which I did not notice, and then a late payment since I did not pay it. I called the bank and closed the card immediately and the waived the fee and late payment amount. I just got an alert from my fico that my score dropped 50 points! Ordered a copy of my credit report and sure enough, they reported me 30 days late. What to do now? I am sure the next time they report it will show a zero balance and a closed account. What about the late payment? Should I dispute this? Just when I was approaching 700, WHACK! 50 POINTS!
Regular Contributor

Re: Annual Fee caused a late payment...now what?

I would try to GW it.
Contributor

Yes, GW it. Technically they reported it accurately, as much as it sucks. I'd get the contact info for a supv. and humbly appeal to them for help. You certainly didn't deserve it, but that's the caveat of those annual fee cards.

sorry, not familiar with the terminology here. GW?
Regular Contributor

Good will letter.  Go to this and hit the GW at the bottom.  There are some examples of letters posted by Tuscani there. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=ficoscoring&thread.id=2654

Moderator Emeritus

Was the AF not on your bill?

I made the terrible mistake of not opening the bill. 99% of my bills are ebills so when I get the paper bills they go into the shredder. I never used this card so I just assumed a zero balance each month.
Moderator Emeritus

Doh!

Well, hopefully the GW works. Smiley Happy Good luck!
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.