Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Debt collection question?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another Debt collection question?

Ok, here is my situation. I had a repo in 2002 and about six months ago I get a call from a collection agency. The original amount owed after the car was sold was around 6000 now the account is showing I owe over 10,000. Here is where I may have screwed up. I sent them 130.00 in form of good faith payment untill I could work out better payment arrangements because I was afraid of being sued. I know the SOL is 5 years where I am at whIich I am not denying I owe some of the money but not 10 grand. So here are a few questions.

Did I reset the SOL by sending them money?

Am I now responsible for the full amount since I paid some money or can I still request a DV.

Last but not least can they charge intrest because thats the only way the amount I owed would be able to go up?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Another Debt collection question?

One more item I forgot to mention. I also received a letter from this company stating there was a recent inquiry on my credit and they wanted to remind me about my debt. Ok I didn't authorize them to check my credit. How can they get by with that?
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Another Debt collection question?

IMO - Don't pay.  It's out of SOL for collection purposes - send a C&D letter.  Since your payment did not bring the account current, you did not reset the SOL for reporting purposes.  Be sure to keep, forever, proof of the DOFD as the CA will more than likely try to re-age and/or sell to JDB.

Rules of engagement when communicating with a CA:

• Do not talk to a CA!
  • Send all communications in writing CMRR.
  • Do not sign letters you send to a CA - Typed Name only

Never provide or verify the following information:

• Social Security Number
  • Name of Employer or employment status
  • Banking information
  • Previous Address
  • That you have (or previously had) an account with them or anyone else.
  • The correct spelling of your name - If they have it wrong, use whatever spelling they used in their letters.

If a CA calls:

• No matter what the CA asks, says or threatens, your only reply should be "I wish all communications to be in writing.  You may contact me in writing at (give them your address)".
  • Other than repeating the above statement - say Goodbye!

Reasons

• You may provide them with information they do not already have.
  • You may inadvertently agree to something you should not.
  • You may admit to something you don't understand or shouldn't.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.