treschic
Frequent Contributor

Re: Anti-GW article I found on another website

the writer seemed very angry....
Message 2 of 13
braznyc
Frequent Contributor

It's just an opinion, everyone has one. Also just about everyone has a blog and a website. My only point is either you agree or you don't at the end of the day it's just an opinion. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The author also tries to make the issue of late-vs-on time very black and white, when actually it's full of grey areas....

Your address is written incorrectly
You move overseas or move w/in the states and mail forwarding is slow
You change bank accounts and even though you update your info, a creditor draws off BOTH bank accounts. or continues to draw off the old one, despite having accurate info.
You leave a dangerous relationship and make no contact with your old life for several years as a safety precaution
Your attorney advises you not to pay certain bills that are in dispute during a lawsuit, or divorce proceeding

All of the above I have had in my own & my DH's experience as reasons for late & no pays.. are they not legitimate reasons for asking for a GW? In this bloggers opinion, no. late is late is late. I disagree. There are tons of circumstances that make a late payment perfectly understandable.
Message 4 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

ace9848 wrote:

It specifically mentions this board.

What are your reactions?

Hey, we're famous!

The author probably got bent out of shape when he/she was denied for a GW. How "Insidiuos"!

He/she has a valid point. But I will start to worry about accurate reporting when other creditors start to accurately report themselves. There is more harm caused by the bad ones out there than us. A GW won't remove an unpaid collection. A GW won't remove an unpaid CO. A GW to the local courthouse won't likely remove that public record. Heck, how many of us had a GW remove paid baddies? Not many I'm sure. But how many stories do we read each day of incorrect reporting on the creditor's side? A whole lot more.

Message Edited by llecs on 04-02-2008 01:27 PM
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

As someone I have an open account with - you provide GW... am I not more likely to think favorably of you store (i.e. spend more money there again)?  It's good business practice --- oh, and if you're not paying higher interst on major cards because of the late then you have more disposable income to shop with my store.  DUH!!!! 
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If there is a law being broke, who is breaking it? Not us, all we do is ask, we don't do it.

Contract being broke between companies and CRA? Who is doing it? Not us, we don't report.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

sidewinder wrote:
If there is a law being broke, who is breaking it? Not us, all we do is ask, we don't do it.

Contract being broke between companies and CRA? Who is doing it? Not us, we don't report.

If you look at it that way, then you're guilty as a conspirator.  The man who orders the hit isn't blameless for the actual murder.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

masdeocho wrote:

sidewinder wrote:

If you look at it that way, then you're guilty as a conspirator.  The man who orders the hit isn't blameless for the actual murder.

Quite different. The one who orders the hit is guilty b/c that in itself is against the law!

GW and PFD is a little different then murder anyhow.

We do not have a contract with the CRA, we do not know what those contracts say, so we are doing nothing wrong.

As for the the FDCPA/FCRA, it says you must report accurate information if you are going to report, but does not say you HAVE to report. So removing an account and no longer reporting it isn't against FDCPA/FCRA.
Message 9 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

All this reminds me of yesterday as I was taking the kids to school. There was a mean speedtrap as we exited our neighborhood. The cop pointed his radar gun at me with a smile. And yes, I was speeding.

He never pulled out, but what if he had? If he only offered a warning would that not be going against the "system". Afterall, I did break the law. If he gave me some "goodwill" would that have been wrong?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.