Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any former IRS Agent-help ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any former IRS Agent-help ?

THANK YOU!  I am filing the OIC this week, and already figured out my taxes (first year I've claimed right exemptions) because of my situation...and came up with a refund of $8.00.  This is OK all things considered...however, I determined I AM using a tax professional to file them!!!

I just can't believe they would rather have a struggling worker-bee on the street...

Thanks again!!
Message 11 of 19
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Beach, don't assume the IRS is CORRECT in their findings.  Take those prior returns to a tax professional...there MAY be deductions, etc that weren't filed for that you CAN deduct.  Those years can be amended.  The IRS SAID I owed them almost $4500 and our CPA had it reduced to $3200.

I'd like to suggest using our firm CPA.  She was AWESOME in finding me hidding $$$.  She's VERY reasonable and will work with you via fax, etc.

If you would like her email, send me a private im.
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

That would be great!  The only issue is that I have done my own in the past because I rent, have one of the (2) children I can claim and don't have anything else to deduct...so it always seems straight forward...do you think it's still worth a shot?

THANKS!  Please PM the info!!
Message 13 of 19
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

What about donations to Goodwill, etc????????  I'm sure you donated a FEW things, right?  It's ALWAYS worth a shot!
Message 14 of 19
Ausfarm
Regular Contributor

What tax year are they collecting?  When did you file that tax return?  There's a 10 year statute of limitations on collection.  I know of a person who owed more than $60k back in the late '80's early '90's.  Anyway, the SOL ran and he never paid (although, it should be noted that they took his house worth $80 and sold it for $20k).   Needless to say, he was pissed, but he felt like they were paid what they were owed. 

Be weary of the offer in compromise deals you hear out there.  This person I know went to a tax firm and I learned that they screwed up his tax returns.  They had him claiming more than $45 of extra income.  My theory is that they wanted him to think they were saving him tons of money when, in fact, the missed an exemption and the EIC --costing him a $2000 refund.  Anyway, there's a new payment plan alternative to the offer in compromise you can probably try. 

Yeah, the IRS used to be really tough --then b/c of the backlash they had to be really nice.  Now, their tougher, but as I understand it, not as bad as they once were.

Message 15 of 19
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Beach:  wouldn't you fall under the 'currently not collectible' guidelines?   The IRS, with their ridiculous interest and penalties make it virtually impossible for people to pay!  This is why it's best that you speak to a CPA to discuss those 'options' that we know you have!  The IRS certainly isn't going to advise you on how to dump that debt!

I DO hope you have written a letter to REPORT that moron who suggested you sell your belongings.  Keep sending that letter out until you have resolution on your behalf toward that advisor. 

I UNDERSTAND that some people can pay and try to beat the system, but if you absolutely cannot pay...then you can't.  Work it!

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

this firm and its founder are in my neck of the woods - but worth a call even if to get a referral (you will understand why I say this when you read Linda's bio - she is like the Suze Orman of Taxes).And yes, they do my taxes again (traveled around for 2+ years and stupidly missed something (like the check) sent in to the state)

Message Edited by Lady_Scarlet on 12-18-2007 01:33 PM
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

All of you, thank you!  If you can believe it, my Mother suggested I contact the congressman because she thought it was rotten that they wouldn't even consider taking the assessed value...

The years I owe unfortunately are collectible, but as I've said, I owe because I didn't have much taken out of my paychecks.  I didn't have to work a 2nd job when my kids were in my custody, I struggled paying an ex-you know what, attorneys, pay day loans and high daycare, but I would do it again.

What is upsetting is NOW the stupid OIC states they want 3 months worth of car fuel receipts, groceries, etc. and I simply do NOT have those...and to start now, then file the offer in 3 months...whatever, I'd rather pay someone that quoted me $1000 to negotiate (yes, the moron lady told me they wouldn't negotiate/succeed because I have proven I can make a fricking living)...

The biggest issue, I had a lien from IRS for specific amount - thought that was all I owed until I called the moron, and almost fell over when I heard $11k - now, I can't even get the lien removed until I pay the additional $1800 in interest and penalty.

I've worked extremely hard to clear up my credit, gained stability in a big way since getting the divorce for myself & children; I can't get a house until THAT lien is removed, but then I still owe MORE.  I don't make a ton, but have proven I can manage money and handle the loan I seek for a mortgage, it's getting a lender to see on paper/hear what steps I've taken to ensure they won't lose, and hope & pray they'll "pass" me. 

THANK YOU ALL, I feel more encouraged again - I can't pay what they want because I don't have much in way of additional, and with my boys getting older, sports, etc. I just honestly don't want them to feel like they can never do anything because we can't afford it.  They've heard it for quite awhile alreadySmiley Sad

Most appreciated for ALL the help!!
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lady - I live in MN - can the website you referred still help?!

Smiley Happy
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.