Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody want to get debt free????

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Anybody want to get debt free????

Noah_Bodie wrote:

Once again, my sociopathic tendencies shine through. Just as 1-9 percent util is a sweet spot, owing the IRS a few $20s in April is ideal--for me. Owing a lot hurts and can lead to interest and penalties. But owing a little, again for me the guy with the crawlspace that merits monitoring, gives me perverse pleasure.

I agree, but I tend to overpay a little because my wife is very erotic, sorry, erratic in her earning, being a freelance artist.  In a good year we could end up being really clobbered by the IRS, and that would hurt, so better safe than sorry.  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 51 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

Overpay some more, and your wife might turn more erotic, umm, less erratic.

Message 52 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noah_Bodie wrote:

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy
Oh Boy, Noah...you are on a roll today!!! Are you sure that was milk you put in your cereal this morning??????
Message 53 of 118
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Noah_Bodie wrote:

That might be bad for my health   Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 54 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

flygirl wrote:
Oh Boy, Noah...you are on a roll today!!! Are you sure that was milk you put in your cereal this morning??????

Oh, it was milk. But, did you ever see Alien Nation?

Message 55 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley HappySmiley IndifferentSmiley MadSmiley SadSmiley Tongue
Message 56 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

fused111 wrote:

crocpa wrote:
In order to have the highest FICO score, you pretty much should be debt free.  Take Snodog for instance, his three FICO's were all in the 800+ ranges and he had barely no debt at all.  I agree with OP's views, just one thing though.  In order to maximize your FICO scores, you should pay down your debt to achieve proper utilization ratios. 

You mean revolving util ratios, right?

Both revolving and installment.  Mortgage utilization ratios are not considered by FICO.
Message 57 of 118
SoulSmilen
Regular Contributor

Something everyone always seems to forget on paying down higher APRs first - the time involved to do it.

If I have a 5000.00 balance at 10% and a 10K balance at 20% and can make a total of 75.00 / month extra in payments, is it really logical to let that 5000.00 balance accrue interest @ 10% until I've made 135-140 payments?

That's an extreme example, but just a reminder that the higher APR shouldn't always be the sole basis of the decision.
Message 58 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noah_Bodie wrote:

flygirl wrote:

Oh, it was milk. But, did you ever see Alien Nation?

You like ROTTEN MILK in your cereal??  Smiley Surprised
Message 59 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

As the originator of this thread, I'd like to clear up a few assumptions about myself and the assumptions made by many posters so far.

First off, I can't belive how many people get so upset here when one believes in a more conservative, or alternative way of thinking about debt.  I currently have no debt except my home mortgage.  I am 34 years old with a wife and one child.  I am a Catholic, not a born-again Christian , so my religious beliefs have some similarities with the radio host and author, Dave Ramsey, but I don't agree in many of the religious ideas of Born Again Christians, but this is not pertinant to a financial discussion whatsoever. 

I make over $90,000 a year, and my wife makes $30,000.   Like most couples, we used to fight alot about money, so we decided to pay off all of our credit cards and student loans QUICKLY (within 2 years).  We made it in less than that.  I also have a total of just over $100,000 in our 401K's and IRA's. Our home in Illinois has about $60,000 in equity. 

If those who are doing as well as, or better than my family, and at a similar age to myself, I say great job.   To others whose net worth is much lower, I say, try to have a more open attitute to those like myself, who are taking a more fiscally conservative approach to personal finance. 

Signed,
Bob

Message 60 of 118
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.