cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone ever get points docked for disputing accounts with Equifax?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone ever get points docked for disputing accounts with Equifax?

My Equifax score dropped 32 points because I disputed 2 accounts. I wonder how this can happen?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone ever get points docked for disputing accounts with Equifax?

Thats suks. I hate EQ and TU.
Message 2 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

pastorrikk1 wrote:
My Equifax score dropped 32 points because I disputed 2 accounts. I wonder how this can happen?

This is supposedly not suppose to happen but IT DOES. Sometimes scores plummet and other times they go up. What exactly did you dispute?
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I disputed a target and providian verification, they changed nothing they stayed and they took 16 points a piece. I'm going to send them some more letters.
Message 4 of 12
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

What were the results of the disputes?  Did they verify them or change them in any way?
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

They read" Newly reported- consumer disputes-reinvestigation in progress" this is the only thing that has changed.
Message 6 of 12
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Most items that are being disputed are not used in the calculation of your score while they are in dispute..  Once the dispute is over, they are included once more.  So some weird things can happen.  So if for example one disputed an old late on each of two current CCs, then those TLs would be removed during the dispute.  So this could affect both average age of accounts and utilization.

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, you are sayin 2 bum accounts (- ) from the whole picture can drop the score rather than remaining on and lifting the score? I mean, dang ol' bum accounts worth points? That is strange~
Message 8 of 12
Vu
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I have 3x5 years old paid Dell collection accounts, I disputed them, score drop 28 points....  Make absolutely no sense whatsoever. 

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I did...and on the other two credit bureaus, as well.

Apparently, when you dispute, it makes it appear as though the account is current with recent activity. Hence you score plunges.

It happened to me when I was told by a lender to dispute everything on my credit report, hoping that the inaccuracies would fall off. Instead....my score dropped and the lender dropped me as a client.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.