Valued Member
pastorrikk1

Anyone ever get points docked for disputing accounts with Equifax?

My Equifax score dropped 32 points because I disputed 2 accounts. I wonder how this can happen?
Frequent Contributor
theshadow12345

Re: Anyone ever get points docked for disputing accounts with Equifax?

Thats suks. I hate EQ and TU.
As of 3/17/08 - TU 619 / EQ 666 / Ex 624
As of 4/17/08 -TU 621 / EQ 671 / Ex 626
As of 6/07/08 - TU 627/ EQ 688 / EQ 644
Moderator Emeritus
fused

pastorrikk1 wrote:
My Equifax score dropped 32 points because I disputed 2 accounts. I wonder how this can happen?

This is supposedly not suppose to happen but IT DOES. Sometimes scores plummet and other times they go up. What exactly did you dispute?
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (09-16-2014): EQ 824, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1 (Amex 07-15-2014)

Valued Member
pastorrikk1

I disputed a target and providian verification, they changed nothing they stayed and they took 16 points a piece. I'm going to send them some more letters.
Super Contributor
MidnightVoice

What were the results of the disputes?  Did they verify them or change them in any way?
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Valued Member
pastorrikk1

They read" Newly reported- consumer disputes-reinvestigation in progress" this is the only thing that has changed.
Super Contributor
MidnightVoice

Most items that are being disputed are not used in the calculation of your score while they are in dispute..  Once the dispute is over, they are included once more.  So some weird things can happen.  So if for example one disputed an old late on each of two current CCs, then those TLs would be removed during the dispute.  So this could affect both average age of accounts and utilization.

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Valued Member
pastorrikk1

So, you are sayin 2 bum accounts (- ) from the whole picture can drop the score rather than remaining on and lifting the score? I mean, dang ol' bum accounts worth points? That is strange~
New Contributor
Vu

Yes, I have 3x5 years old paid Dell collection accounts, I disputed them, score drop 28 points....  Make absolutely no sense whatsoever. 

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 580
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
Zen

Yes, I did...and on the other two credit bureaus, as well.

Apparently, when you dispute, it makes it appear as though the account is current with recent activity. Hence you score plunges.

It happened to me when I was told by a lender to dispute everything on my credit report, hoping that the inaccuracies would fall off. Instead....my score dropped and the lender dropped me as a client.
ZenYoga

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+