cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone knows any prevention against identity theft?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone knows any prevention against identity theft?

I have recently been victimized by the theft of my credit card. But, due to favorable situations I could prevent it from being miss-used and was able to make thins go in the right way.Anyways , I would like to know that if there any services which keeps your financial information safe and make you secure about thefts.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone knows any prevention against identity theft?

Hi and Welcome!
I am not sure about this is what you are looking for...

This is what I do and I believe most of us do;

Shred the any written/printed paper with my name and address is on it before through it away.
Plus, I use shredded papers for my pets cage liner.  It will be really nasty and stink when I trash it.

I have Citi Identity Monitor Service and they are really good at in sending me any Alert quickly. 
This service come with Identity Theft Insurance.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shakira123 wrote:
I have recently been victimized by the theft of my credit card. But, due to favorable situations I could prevent it from being miss-used and was able to make thins go in the right way.Anyways , I would like to know that if there any services which keeps your financial information safe and make you secure about thefts.

CRAs allow you place fraud alerts on your CR. Here are some links where you can read about what the CRAs offer:

You can also sign up for a monitoring service so that you can monitor your credit for changes.

As for protecting your financial information, as the other poster stated, shred any documents you are going to throw away that might have confidential information on it.

Some CC companies offer protection against ID theft. Some CC companies even call if your activity on your card seems unusual.

Google "protecting your identity" or "protecting your financial information" and I'm sure you'll find lots of links, reading, and tips.

Also check your local tv station's website. I know our local one has a "consumer's corner" and it list different consumer topics of interest and this is one. Your state's AG office website will probably give tips on protecting yourself as well. Missouri's does.

Message Edited by sidewinder on 03-04-2008 04:07 AM
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can also check www.ftc.gov. The FTC is the federal agency charged with helping people deal with identity theft.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

All financial institutions attempt to keep your information safe. Unfortunately, sometimes, the companies fail. Your information is yours. And it's your responsibility to guard it and share it with only those that need to know. However, many places offer ID Theft insurance. I have it through Allstate and I have $25,000 in coverage for $30 a year.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s quite necessary to protect your financial details and nowadays it’s becoming a practice to make things secure due to the increasing thefts. I had recently heard about services that keep your edited. They help you to protect your private information so that you can be relaxed about them being used to your loss. It’s a good way to make us feel at home about out things in spite of us using them in public. I believe that your question will be satisfied by this and you can make your self updated by taking the necessary steps.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.