Regular Contributor
TilltedBrim

Anyone members at both NFCU and USAA?

Is there anyone that are members of both NFCU and USAA credit unions?  And if so why did you chosse to do so and what are some of the benefits?  I'm asking because I'm considering doing the same.  Thanks in advance

After falling off the wagon while in the garden... And going 2 for 4 on a drapping spree I've finally received my coveted Discover More. And now I'll limp back to the garden.
Frequent Contributor
BigDaddy18

Re: Anyone members at both NFCU and USAA?

I have both in fact I have NFCU, USAA and PENFED! 

I've had NFCU for a while but I started using USAA for insurance then when I seen the PenFed 5% Platinum cash back card I had to have it!

Starting Score: EQ FICO 777
Current Score: EQ FICO 803
Goal Score: EQ FICO 810

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Established Contributor
compassion101

BigDaddy18 wrote:

I have both in fact I have NFCU, USAA and PENFED! 

I've had NFCU for a while but I started using USAA for insurance then when I seen the PenFed 5% Platinum cash back card I had to have it!

What are the requirements to be a member of those credit unions?

Contributor
cardslayer

I also have all 3, NFCU, USAA, and PenFed.

NFCU - They are great! Were always generous with CL's and loan standards, however their website is a little lacking IMO. Also, they don't have "tiers" like USAA.

Requirements - Either an "in" with existing member (could literally be anyone, same address helps but not sure if that's required), or military, or employee of military affiliated organization (my case) 

USAA - Wanted the Credit Reporting product, and started poking around and kind of like them so far. Haven't requested any lines, as I don't need any, but I am not military so my lending options with them are limited. I just have the Credit Monitoring, checking and savings accounts. 

Requirements - NONE (for limited products), Military (for all products, lowest rates, easiest qualifications)

PenFed - Not sure why I app'd exactly, but they seem to have competing loan rates with Navy from time to time. And, lately, they've got that 1.99% auto loan. so, really got PenFed to just keep my options open. Only have 1 savings account for now.

Requirements - NONE 

Community Leader
Valued Contributor
HoldingOntoHope

I love NFCU for the credit products and their ease of increasing lines. I started with a 6K credit card (or thereabouts) when no one else would go over $1000. A couple years later and i have $23K on the CC and a $15K LOC with Navcheck. I also use them as my primary checking and savings. I am fortunate to have a branch office within blocks of my home.

I use USAA for their insurance products. Best prices in the business for me. I have home, auto and umbrella with them. They are also my mortgage holder. Although my experience with them was somewhat frustrating and i would hesitate to recommend them as a first choice. The positive is that they do not sell the mortgage but keep it within my accounts. They do have an outside servicer but no problems since the loan was finalized. I have a CC with them for $16K and get true preapproved offers for products (auto loan / another credit card) on a semi-regular basis.

In my opinion if you are eligible for membership in NFCU and full membership in USAA it is absolutely a no-brainer.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Established Member
kcanes53

I have USAA and NFCU , Both are awesome ! NFCU Gave me a 6000 CL on my first app with them !! I use USAA for insurance . 

Semper Fi always faithful. Faithful to God, Country, Family and the Corps.
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
DaveSignal

I use both.

I have USAA insurance and also prefer to bank with USAA because of the features and usability of the USAA website.  It is far better than any bank web interface that I have ever seen.

I use NFCU for their credit cards.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}