Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone use Desert Schools Fed CU?

tag
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

Anyone use Desert Schools Fed CU?

I have been thinking about opening an account at Desert Schools Federal Credit Union, but I would like to get some input from people that have had experience with them.  Anyone??

Or, any other CU's in Arizona (Phoenix metro area).

I am in the rebuild process and would like to find a CU near me that will be helpful with that and provide good rates.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone use Desert Schools Fed CU?

I opened an account with Desert Schools a few years ago just to build some relationship with them.  I never actively sought any thing from them so I don't have a lot of experience with them.  My sister has had a savings account and some decent auto loans through them.  I was fortunate enough to get in with NFCU (and there are now TWO branches in AZ whoo hoo lol!) and eventually they will have ALL my business.  Still holding onto Chase because I like their bill pay service better than Navy's. 

Another AZ CU to consider is Arizona Federal Credit Union.  You have to live, work, worship or attend school in Maricopa or Pinal County to become a member.  Pretty open.   

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 2 of 7
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@AZHeather wrote:

I have been thinking about opening an account at Desert Schools Federal Credit Union, but I would like to get some input from people that have had experience with them.  Anyone??

I am in the rebuild process and would like to find a CU near me that will be helpful with that and provide good rates.

Thanks in advance!

Are you looking for a bank replacement or credit grantor to someone with credit issues. Obviously both is best, but sometimes no one cu can do it. Let us know. If looking for credit grantor, give us idea what your current credit situation looks like,
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 7
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

@AZHeather wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Are you looking for a bank replacement or credit grantor to someone with credit issues. Obviously both is best, but sometimes no one cu can do it. Let us know. If looking for credit grantor, give us idea what your current credit situation looks like,

I currently use Chase, but would like to know what (if any) advantages there are to a CU in the banking capacity.  I will be looking for additional credit cards and an auto loan in about 6-12 months.  I am hopeful that the stray credit issues I currenlty have will be resolved by then and I will have a FICO score that would be considered "good."  However, I would like a cu that is more inclined to give higher credit limits to their customers/memebers with their Visa and MC products.  Of course, lower rates are always a plus.

My main concern is that the cu is good to their customers/members.  I have heard some negative things regarding customer/member service, online banking, and other random things about various cu's.  I have no qualms with how I have been treated by Chase (I have zero fees) and I would hate to leave for a better cc or auto rate only to have the overall service be terrible.  Also want to make sure that it is a cu that reports to all 3 cra's.  If I do get the car loan and/or cc's through them, I will want them to report to all 3 to help me keep my credit scores up.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 7
Crashem
Valued Contributor

AZHeather,

Joining a credit union doesn't mean you need to switch your banking to them.  You can join them and keep a small savings account with them.  You can join them just for their loan products.

Since I don't have any ideas on your credit profile, I can't really guide you on which one to look at.  But generally speaking you have a much more old school and personal approach to lending including visa/mc.  You can talk to the credit analyst and explain why you need a higher credit line than your credit file would indicate.  Our local credit union offers a non intro visa card with 7.25% interest with no AF.  My friend applied with his highest CL being 3k.  They offered him a 4k CL and he talked to the credit analyst who and asked for a 8k limit because he wanted to BT to the card.  They gave it to him.  On the other hand, they want everyone to verify income via paystubs or W2.

If you are looking for a banking replacement CU, make sure the CU has the following features:

1) Participates in shared branch (ie go do business in any other shared branch CU) and shared coop ATMs

2) Good mobile and or website app that allows remote deposits (deposit via taking picture of check)

3) ATM rebates (if you use non network ATM, they will rebate fees that the other ATM charges)

CUs can often have checking accounts that get superior interest rates and no fees.

As for a good loan CU, I really like PENFED.  They are really conservative lender, but once you are in with them, they are great.  Their loan products are extremely competitive.  For example, I think their auto loan rates for 5 year are 1.99% or 1.59%.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 5 of 7
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Crashem!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My folks used them for years and they were happy with them,,

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.