cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anywhere to get free tenant rental history?

tag
improvent363
New Contributor

Anywhere to get free tenant rental history?

We all know we can get free credit score and report, but can you get FREE tenant rentanl history (similar to what is offered here: https://www.youcheckcredit.com/index.htmlhttp://www.landlord2landlord.com/pricing.aspx). 

Basically I am asking where can you get free background history?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Anywhere to get free tenant rental history?

Moving to the General Credit Topics forum.

--fused, myfico moderator

Message 2 of 15
improvent363
New Contributor

Any ONE? Any  one?

Message 3 of 15
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I think the only time rental stuff gets reported is if you get evicted or they have to go after you for not paying rent.  It's not a standard practice for apartments, or houses, to do regular credit reporting on your monthly rent.  I know this bc I am helping my brother with his credit.  He has a 2500 collection from an apartment that he was evicted from.  I found out on the BK forum that they can only sue him for this for one year.  So technically he doesn't have to pay this and he won't get a judgment - he will just have bad credit for a long time, and other places he wants to rent to him will probably not because they will see the eviction and the related collection.

Can you please tell us specifically what your concern is so we can better answer your questions?  In your other post you said "does it matter if apartment or house" - and I'm not sure what that means.

In all of my years of renting various houses and a few apartments along the way, my credit has always been checked - even if it was just a person renting their home out or a rental agency.  I was  always able to pay a bigger deposit and was approved to live where I wanted to live.  Because I didn't have any evictions the landlord wasn't that concerned about my credit scores because I paid first/last/deposit.  I would guess you will find housing  you like if you are able to pay big enough deposits.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 15
improvent363
New Contributor

I am asking because the house I am currently living in right now is owned by my parents who have missed a lot of mortage payments. So because of this, will I get less chance of being approved for a rental application even if the house is not under my name and I do not have any missed/late payments on my CR and no other delinquencies.

I am just worried because I share the house with them and my CR does show that I live in this house. So, will the landlord find this out and discriminate against me because of this, even though it is not my fault that my parents  missed a lot of mortage payments and they have bad credit?

Message 5 of 15
Booner72
Senior Contributor

You have nothing to worry about.  If it isn't your mortgage then nothing will be on your credit reports about your parents financial problems. There is no way that because you share the same address that their delinquent accounts will go on your credit.

Have you pulled your credit reports at all?  Why don't you do that and see for yourself to get some peace of mind?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 6 of 15
improvent363
New Contributor

I pulled my CR and do not see any mention of their mortage of any delinquencies.

I was worried because some places (ex: www.publicbackgroundchecks.com) can find the whole record just by searching for the address. And if the landlord uses that and sees the bad non-payment and missed payment record. So, will that not affect my chances of getting rejected because I share the same address?

Message 7 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@improvent363 wrote:

I pulled my CR and do not see any mention of their mortage of any delinquencies.

I was worried because some places (ex: www.publicbackgroundchecks.com) can find the whole record just by searching for the address. And if the landlord uses that and sees the bad non-payment and missed payment record. So, will that not affect my chances of getting rejected because I share the same address?

It wasn't your debt, and you weren't a renter with a lease, from what you say. You have not been delinquent on anything.

FWIW, when I thought that I was going to move to an apartment, they pulled my Experian. No indication that they went for anything else. And again, even if they did, it wasn't your debt, and you havent been late or defaulted on anything. Or at any rate, not on anything related to tenancy or ownership of that property.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Booner72 wrote:

I think the only time rental stuff gets reported is if you get evicted or they have to go after you for not paying rent.  It's not a standard practice for apartments, or houses, to do regular credit reporting on your monthly rent.

Depends on the company. Experian gets rental data reported. For a short time at the beginning of this year, my lease showed up as installment loan on my Experian credit report, and the data came from the management company of the apartment complex where I live at the moment. Account age was from when I first moved in a few years back, the balance was the complete outstanding lease to the end of my contract, terms were given as 12 months. Some time later, the account vanished again.

Which means that Experian has the data. They just don't normally show it on your credit report.

Message 9 of 15
GregB
Valued Contributor

IF you have a lease with a management company that has a contract with EX and they update. That is only likely with a good sized management company that wants to pay those fees.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.