Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apartment rental-

tag
dujaidecor
Contributor

Apartment rental-

My fico score took a huge hit due to late payments. I went from 693 to  Experian 628 Eq 618 and TU 610 . Will I be denied for  the apartment? 

I have about 13k between 4 CC cards. Balance between the cards $350 

One collection and school loans are current 

Starting Score: TU488 EQ483 6/4/12
Current Score: TU 662 EQ 670 EXP ??
Goal Score: 680

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Apartment rental-

Rentals look more for have you defaulted on a landlord before and not so much on your history of CC's, SL etc etc 

You'll probably be fine 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 6
ACG23
Regular Contributor

@dujaidecor wrote:

My fico score took a huge hit due to late payments. I went from 693 to  Experian 628 Eq 618 and TU 610 . Will I be denied for  the apartment? 

I have about 13k between 4 CC cards. Balance between the cards $350 

One collection and school loans are current 

I was in your shoes last year, almost to the date. I was very stressed out, but it eventually worked out. Here're some tips: 

• Can you find a landlord that won't check your credit? I did, sort of by accident. 
  • Are you living with someone? If so, have your scores considered together. 
  • Is your income above the appropriate multiplier? If so, you are more likely than not just fine. 
  • Are you saying you have a $350 statement balance, of an available $13k, between four credit cards? If so, good; if not, drop your utilization as low as possible for a quick score boost. 

That said, I did some research last year, and it seemed that 650 was a "good enough" score for an apartment rental. I think you're likely going to be just fine, unless someone else applies for the same unit with sterling credit. 

Gardening since May 2015
Starting Score: 585
Current Score: 770 EX
Goal Score: 790

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
txbusted
Contributor

When I was trying to find an apartment a while back I had just defaulted on my car loan, major credit card and had a broken lease all about 6 months old. I got a apartment on the "good" side of town and have been here about 5 years. I think you will be fine Smiley Happy

myFICO's : EQ: 643 // TU: 635// EXP:645

WALLET: Victoria Secret $650 | Simply Be $850 | BOA Cash Rewards $300 I Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $4k |Chase Freedom $2.2k l Full Beauty $450 l Woman Within $450 l Wayfair $1.2k l Citi Double Cash $700 l Game Stop $300l Overstock $1K l Lane Bryant $300 l Ulta $750 l Walmart $700 l Target Red $1k
Amazon Chase $1k l Kohls $300
Message 4 of 6
dujaidecor
Contributor

I haven't been able to find a landlord that doesn't check credit. I leave alone with my children. So, there isn't another persons score to be considered. My income is way above the multiplier. Yes, my statement balance is 350$.

Starting Score: TU488 EQ483 6/4/12
Current Score: TU 662 EQ 670 EXP ??
Goal Score: 680

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen.

Message 5 of 6
ACG23
Regular Contributor

@dujaidecor wrote:
I haven't been able to find a landlord that doesn't check credit. I leave alone with my children. So, there isn't another persons score to be considered. My income is way above the multiplier. Yes, my statement balance is 350$.

I really truly think you're in good shape then. If you get questions from the landlord/landlord's agent, plug your income and job security, and profession, if it helps. If you have a broker you're using, brief the, on the issue. They'll probably tell you not to worry too.

Gardening since May 2015
Starting Score: 585
Current Score: 770 EX
Goal Score: 790

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.