Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apparently Credit Karma isn't accurate at all, huh

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apparently Credit Karma isn't accurate at all, huh

Credit Karma can be wrong by as many as 100 points. It is not at all reliable.

Message 11 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The scores you get here at MyFico are real Fico scores, so I'm not sure what's up with the score you pulled straight from Equifax. I know with Credit Karma, they have my TU score about 65 points lower than my real Fico, and they had my EQ 90 points lower than my real Fico, although as of yesterday CK has my EQ about 55 points lower now.. so at least their getting closer Smiley Wink

I have found that myfico takes too long to update both scores and alerts. Experian Credit Tracker notifies me quickly (as does Barclay for Trans Union), and myfico can often take 7-9 days to update changes. Frustrating.

Message 12 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HiFromSeattle wrote:

While the reported balances and all of that are the same, my "real" credit score from the direct pull from Equifax is 50 points lower than what CK reports...**bleep**?!

Well, guess that makes CK basically worthless. 

It gives you all your correct credit info, from two CRAs, for free, but not giving an accurate FICO score (also for free) makes it worthless? They only make money off CC recommendations and advertising.

I'm quite sure that the reason free sites like CK don't give accurate scores is because they can't, because they don't have access to the algorithms that generates a FICO score. Accessing the true FICO algorithms likely costs money, and that cost gets passed on to the consumer if they want to see their true FICO scores. 

Message 13 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@HiFromSeattle wrote:

While the reported balances and all of that are the same, my "real" credit score from the direct pull from Equifax is 50 points lower than what CK reports...**bleep**?!

It gives you all your correct credit info, from two CRAs, for free, but not giving an accurate FICO score (also for free) makes it worthless? They only make money off CC recommendations and advertising.

I'm quite sure that the reason free sites like CK don't give accurate scores is because they can't, because they don't have access to the algorithms that generates a FICO score. Accessing the true FICO algorithms likely costs money, and that cost gets passed on to the consumer if they want to see their true FICO scores. 

Right, also it's not the CK is inaccurate, it almost certainly is accurate at producing the score that it claims to be using, Vantage Score 3.0.    The problem comes in that few if any of the issuers use that in a major way.    But if I look at a report pulled from here, focusing on EQ:

FIC0 845 (This is the 08 score)

FICO: 800 (Score 5, for mortgages)  

OMG, FICO is inaccurate by 45 points!   (If I relied on the 08 while mortgage shopping)

FICO: 847( /900) Auto score 8

FICO 817(/900)  Auto score 5 

FICO 873 (/900) Bankcard 8

FICO 807 (/900) Bankcard 5   So 67 points different!

At least now this site shows you those scores, but if you don't know what score an issuer users, you can get as big as a surprise as with CK

Message 14 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

My CK score is pretty accurate. It was only one point higher than the score AmEx reported as my score when they pulled my credit to approve my application.

Message 15 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

FICO 873 (/900) Bankcard 8

FICO 807 (/900) Bankcard 5   So 67 points different!

66 Smiley Tongue

Message 16 of 33
taxi818
Super Contributor

@HiFromSeattle wrote:

So I bought a one-time equifax report/score directly from Equifax and then compared the numbers to Credit Karma.

With that being said, I am looking for a 3 credit score/report monitoring service which I can somewhat rely on to be accurate month to month. I realize that this site has some products, but $350 a year seems a little excessive, especially only to get quartley reports.

Are there any more affordable sites out there where I can watch all 3 of the big boys for a better price (and month to month)?

Simply put the scores on Equifax are also their internal scoring model. No comparison to Equifax fico score. just as Credit karma's score is the Vantage Score. how could one possible compare. apples to watermelons to grapes??

Message 17 of 33
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My CK score is pretty accurate. It was only one point higher than the score AmEx reported as my score when they pulled my credit to approve my application.

ok. if its accurate. try this on. Amex is Experian. Where on credit karma does it show an experian score??

Message 18 of 33
joem1cha3l

CK is a FAKO - completely useless.

Message 19 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't mean to attack anyone personally, but this is so indicative of our "gimme now, I'm entitled" culture. CK is 100% free, and for that price you get a wealth of information. Keeping in mind that lenders do not look at only scores, I say seeing new inquiries, collections, collections removed, balance updates, etc. is a pretty valuable tool. It's a novelty, yes, with all their suggestions, etc, but it is far from being "worthless". 

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.