Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apparently I have NO CREDIT SCORE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apparently I have NO CREDIT SCORE

Yeah, Amex issued a US card. They "transfered" a card by issuing an equivalent card in the US, and then closing the Canadian card. I now have Amex cards in both countries because the account I "transfered" wasn't my only Amex credit card.  They did not transfer credit history, but it sure helps kick start things by giving me a high limit card even though I have no US history. So I'm pretty happy with Amex.

Capital One.. meh. I have solved my problem now without their help, I guess they can just lose the customer. I got a couple of other credit cards open now so I'm set, I just need to garden until I have a longer credit history and I should be good to go mortgage shopping. The others I got one was from a Canadian bank operating in the US (see my "tips for canadians" thread), and two from banks that my employer has a relationship with the local branch. So I'm set for building credit history now, no thanks to capital one.

Message 11 of 13
HiLine
Blogger

I'm guessing your credit reports don't show any accounts, hence you do not have a credit score.
There are plenty of banks in the US that don't perform credit checks for checking accounts. Try BofA for example.
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't really have a credit score either because all of my old accounts have fallen off and I didnt use ANY credit cards (only debit) for 7 years.  Since you are in NYC, you can get a checking acct at PNC Bank or TD Bank both of them will give you one with no hassles, especially if you do direct deposit.(they gave me mine when my credit score was in the toilet)  I've been with PNC now for 5 years now and they are a great bank.  They don't have a branch on every corner like B of A (Penn station and 45 & Madison I think) BUT they are a solid bank.  I think TD Bank has more locations.  Get yourself a few secured cards (I just got approved for B of A and Cap One) and take care of them that way you can re-build.

Good luck!!

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.