cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply credit card, got rejected because of not issued social security number.???

tag
anlanchi

Apply credit card, got rejected because of not issued social security number.???

Hello everybody.

I am an international student and got my master degree last year. So far I have been working in the  U.S for one year, full - time employed.

I have begun to apply credit card since this April.  All of my application are rejected.... The reason is always like" credit report is missing and invaild", "no credit history"

I checked my credit socre from 3 credit bureau but got nothing.."no infomation".... Then I applied secured credit card and have used it for 4 months.

Lasy week i applied for Discover More Card, some body called me and asked me to fax my social security card copy to them.

But I got rejected again .  The reason is "Unable to verify credit info / application infomation"..

I called discover who said my social security number is not issued!!!!  They advised me to contact SSA office.

But I got my ssn last May, got employed, submitted tax report to IRS..  My SSN is not issued right now???

Is there anybody can give me some suggestions?

Really appreciate your help.

thanks.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Cageym
Established Contributor

Re: Apply credit card, got rejected because of not issued social security number.???

Not sure I'm reading this right. Are you a US citizen that was going to school overseas and you never had a SSN before or are you a resident alien working in the US? If you aren't a citizen I don't think you would have a SSN, I think it would be a Tax Payer Identification Number (think that's what it's called).

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 2 of 13
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Apply credit card, got rejected because of not issued social security number.???

@Cageym wrote:
Not sure I'm reading this right. Are you a US citizen that was going to school overseas and you never had a SSN before or are you a resident alien working in the US? If you aren't a citizen I don't think you would have a SSN, I think it would be a Tax Payer Identification Number (think that's what it's called).

My wife is a foreign national with a US Permanent Resident "green" card.  She also has a US Social Security Number.  But she doesn't have any credit cards solely in her name.  They are all AU accounts or a joint-account with me.  It takes time to build credit.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anlanchi,

I've been in a similar situation: I arrived in the US in Oct 2011, applied for my SSN in Nov 2011 and got it in Dec 2011. My first ever application was with Cap One in late Dec 2011. It came back with a message similar to yours: Credit score: Missing or invalid. Based on the credit report from EQ/TU/EX for XXX, credit bureau information is missing or unavailable.

I managed to get my journey started by applying with my local branch (BofA) for a secured card in Jan 2012. I don't know what they did to overcome this issue but they accepted the application. This led to some information being sent to the CRAs and to the possibility of pulling a report (not a score: you need 6 months of activity to get a score).

I know it feels like a silly "chicken and egg" kind of issue: you need a credit card (for instance) to get your credit report initiated, but your credit report cannot get initiated if you don't have some kind of activity reporting.

I understand you have already tried to pull your 3 credit reports, is that correct?

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

ps: also, don't worry about your SSN being "invalid". It is perfectly valid. The problem is that banks and other lenders have only access to the CRA databases and NOT to the SSA database. Since your number is in the SSA database but not in the CRA databases (for whatever reason), a credit report cannot be generated for you, and your SSN is considered "Invalid".

So the priority is to get your SSN into the CRA databases.

Message 5 of 13
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I will add that my wife was able to pull a free report online from Experian and was able to get one in the mail from Transunion.  She still cannot, however, pull any reports or scores from myFICO.  I imagine, with the accounts I have added her to as AU or recently opened with her as a joint account holder will give her great credit eventually.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 6 of 13
anlanchi

hello gulobasito,

I think we have the same problem.    I am using the secured credit card with citi.

Should I  contact my local bank like citi ,  chase  and ask them to submit my infomation to 3 credit bureaus..

PS:  How to get my SSN into the CRA databases. ?

THANKS  A LOT~

Message 7 of 13
compassion101
Established Contributor

The first important question to clarify is do you have a social security card issued by SSA?

People can work and pay taxes without having a SScard, using an ITIN which you may have instead. If you do have a SSN, make sure the secured card has your correct SSN and ask them when they will report.

Message 8 of 13
haoniukun
Established Member

It's strange. Have you verified your SSN with your current secured credit card issue bank? Are you sure they regularly report to all credit bureaus?

You can call the customer reprenstative to confirm this and dispute with the credit bureaus if necessary.

I'm also holding F1 visa and got my SSN last February.

Though the SSN is only for work, it is SSN.

I have two unsecured credit cards now.

Message 9 of 13
haoniukun
Established Member

I also start with citi secured credit card.

They report to credit bureaus with no issues.

You'd better verify your information with citi first.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.