Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approval for an apartment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approval for an apartment

So I'm trying to get approved for an apartment with a roommate. Let's start with this: TransUnion: 485/was 484 on 1/23 when I began my efforts Experian: 506/was 489 on 1/23 Equifax: 508/was 511 on 1/23 I meet the income requirement, which is a household making at least 55,000. Individually I make 44k + OT whenever I want it, how much I want. My roomie makes 30k. We both have side jobs we can take up if we need to make extra money. The problem is of course my credit history. His is relatively good but also limited. One credit card with a few thousands available but his balance is very low at less than 100 a month that he usually pays off. What are my chances of getting approved for an apartment sometime in late March with him if I submit some PFDs and pay off the outstanding collection accounts? I challenged some inaccuracies contained on my file but that was less than two weeks ago so I am waiting to hear back. An outstanding student loan needs 5 more payments and then they will sell to another company and delete all negative information from my reports. But not soon enough. What is a realistic number to get my credit to in order to be approved, even with a hefty deposit? thanks!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approval for an apartment

Did they tell you what the minimum score requirement was? Mine only required 510 and the manager did tell me before he ran the credit check.

It is true they can make you pay a higher deposit and first and last month's rent.

Even doing PFD's to get items off your reports takes some time usually. Hopefully some of the things you disputed drops and will boost your scores some. Keep working on it.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much!
Message 3 of 4
treschic
Frequent Contributor

last year, when i was in the same predicament when i wanted to relocate from the baltimore area to the metro wash dc area, my scores were in the high 400s to 550 range, and i made 100,000, but was declined for several apts due to my credit score.  one was willing to let me pay 3 months rent as security deposit, but required that i show all 12 months worth of cancelled checks.  i paid with money orders, and couldnt find all of the recepits.  my rental company was willing to send a letter of rental verification, but they said they couldn't accept that, they needed my cancelled checks or money order receipts for all 12 months.  that may just be my area though, i'm in the metro dc area.  so, i ended up going through craigs list, and found a really nice condo in a nice neighborhood.  the management company (weichert realtors) did a credit check, but, they were willing to work with me.  so, don't give up, there are other means, if you don't get approved.  generally, most company's require that you both meet the credit criteria, so if one of you doesn't qualify, there may be a problem.  again, this is just my experience and it just may be in my area.  anyways, good luck.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.