cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for multiple cards, effect on credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved for multiple cards, effect on credit?

Real nice to see all the (fairly) new voices on this thread!  Nice to that everyone is doing there best to help our OP out.

Switchblade, if it's OK with you, I'll give you my thoughts on your last post.  My comments are in blue boldface.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While I am no expert, I think the better question to ask yourself is if you need any more credit at this time. If you let those accounts age, and apply for a card when you can better utillize a promotion period (such as 0% apr) or qualify for a lower overall APR, you may be better served than just applying for the sake of it. 

Valid point. I don't need the credit lines as my income is good, but I do need the credit to help rebuild my credit. I'm trying to increase my debt to balance ratio in hopes of acquiring my first home in the next year or two. 

You mention an upcoming home purchase and "debt to balance" ratio.  I think you are probably thinking of something called Debt To Income ratio, or DTI.  DTI is indeed very important to mortgage underwriters.  FICO doesn't know anything about your income, however, so DTI is in no way part of your FICO score.  Furthermore, neither having lots of credit cards nor a large total credit limit helps you in any way with your DTI.

A very different kind of ratio, which is a factor in your FICO score, is your utilization ratio.  That's where you take all of the amounts you owe on all your credit cards, and divide that by the sum total of all your credit limits.  Having a low CC (credit card) utilization is a GREAT idea for someone wanting to buy a home.  But you are already doing a super job with that.  The best way to control one's CC utilization is by keeping your balances low, NOT by trying to open lots of credit cards and thereby increase your total credit limit.  Remember that it is always possible to lower your utilization to 1-2% -- by doing something called Pay Your Damn Cards Down.  You are doing this and that is overwhelmingly the best way to do it.

Having many credit cards is not helping you.  At all.  All one needs to drive a very high FICO score is three credit cards (and an installment loan).  More than three cards will not help you in any way.

Ideally my "plan" was to have quite a few open lines with low to zero balance, at least 1 year of on-time payments on them to give me an edge to finally cross the 700 FICO line. 

If I am not getting denied for these cards and I only apply 3-5 times and get approved. That should innevitably help me over the course of a year or two, right? As long as they maintain low balance, get used and paid on time. Right?

If your sole aim was preparing your FICO score for a home purchase a year from now, then you should have stopped with having three cards oif your own.  Every additional card you have opened after that has lowered your average age of accounts, given you inquiries, and consitituted a New Revolving Line of Credit" which some FICO models view as bad as a factor in and of itself.  And MANY mortgage underwriters view your behavior as risky (opening several credit cards in the run up to a home purchase).

If the long run (several years from now) it's nice having several cards.  But you don't have a lot of time.  You want to buy a house very soon.

At this point the best thing you can do is STOP OPENING CREDIT CARDS.  (On the other hand, there is no advantage to closing them either.)  Keep your credit card utilization fairly low and pay all your bills on time (sounds like you are doing that).  Your idea of making purchases on all your cards periodically, but paying them in full each month sounds like a great idea -- I think this is what you are suggesting by creating a payment history.

The other thing you can tell us is whether you have an open installment loan.  Auto loans are examples of installment loans (though there are other kinds of I-loans too).  You mention that you bought a truck.  Do you have a loan associated with a vehicle that you are making payments on now?  If so, tell us and we can give you some advice on how to make it even better.  If you don't, tell us that as well and we can give you advice on how to get a very cheap I-loan.

Finally, you may find that it is in your interest to get rid of the AU accounts.  This is because a real human (the underwriter) will be opening your actual credit reports.  When he sees AU accounts, that weakens his belief in the validity of your FICO score.  Because of course your score is relying on what someone else has done, rather than you.  I say that it "may" be in your interest.  I can't say that for sure, but I suggest you explore that as a possibility. 

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

PS.  Switchblade, you mention that you are "rebuilding" your credit.  Can we assume then that you have some negative information on your credit reports?  (Lates, collections, liens, etc?)

If so, a crucial thing for you to do is join the "rebuilding" forum on this site and see whether they can help you get some of your derogatory records removed.  That is the big thing you should think about.  It will help you a LOT if you can do that.  (Though the other things I mention in my post above will also help.)

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Real nice to see all the (fairly) new voices on this thread!  Nice to that everyone is doing there best to help our OP out.

Switchblade, if it's OK with you, I'll give you my thoughts on your last post.  My comments are in blue boldface.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While I am no expert, I think the better question to ask yourself is if you need any more credit at this time. If you let those accounts age, and apply for a card when you can better utillize a promotion period (such as 0% apr) or qualify for a lower overall APR, you may be better served than just applying for the sake of it. 

Valid point. I don't need the credit lines as my income is good, but I do need the credit to help rebuild my credit. I'm trying to increase my debt to balance ratio in hopes of acquiring my first home in the next year or two. 

You mention an upcoming home purchase and "debt to balance" ratio.  I think you are probably thinking of something called Debt To Income ratio, or DTI.  DTI is indeed very important to mortgage underwriters.  FICO doesn't know anything about your income, however, so DTI is in no way part of your FICO score.  Furthermore, neither having lots of credit cards nor a large total credit limit helps you in any way with your DTI.

A very different kind of ratio, which is a factor in your FICO score, is your utilization ratio.  That's where you take all of the amounts you owe on all your credit cards, and divide that by the sum total of all your credit limits.  Having a low CC (credit card) utilization is a GREAT idea for someone wanting to buy a home.  But you are already doing a super job with that.  The best way to control one's CC utilization is by keeping your balances low, NOT by trying to open lots of credit cards and thereby increase your total credit limit.  Remember that it is always possible to lower your utilization to 1-2% -- by doing something called Pay Your Damn Cards Down.  You are doing this and that is overwhelmingly the best way to do it.

Having many credit cards is not helping you.  At all.  All one needs to drive a very high FICO score is three credit cards (and an installment loan).  More than three cards will not help you in any way.

Ideally my "plan" was to have quite a few open lines with low to zero balance, at least 1 year of on-time payments on them to give me an edge to finally cross the 700 FICO line. 

If I am not getting denied for these cards and I only apply 3-5 times and get approved. That should innevitably help me over the course of a year or two, right? As long as they maintain low balance, get used and paid on time. Right?

If your sole aim was preparing your FICO score for a home purchase a year from now, then you should have stopped with having three cards oif your own.  Every additional card you have opened after that has lowered your average age of accounts, given you inquiries, and consitituted a New Revolving Line of Credit" which some FICO models view as bad as a factor in and of itself.  And MANY mortgage underwriters view your behavior as risky (opening several credit cards in the run up to a home purchase).

If the long run (several years from now) it's nice having several cards.  But you don't have a lot of time.  You want to buy a house very soon.

At this point the best thing you can do is STOP OPENING CREDIT CARDS.  (On the other hand, there is no advantage to closing them either.)  Keep your credit card utilization fairly low and pay all your bills on time (sounds like you are doing that).  Your idea of making purchases on all your cards periodically, but paying them in full each month sounds like a great idea -- I think this is what you are suggesting by creating a payment history.

The other thing you can tell us is whether you have an open installment loan.  Auto loans are examples of installment loans (though there are other kinds of I-loans too).  You mention that you bought a truck.  Do you have a loan associated with a vehicle that you are making payments on now?  If so, tell us and we can give you some advice on how to make it even better.  If you don't, tell us that as well and we can give you advice on how to get a very cheap I-loan.

Finally, you may find that it is in your interest to get rid of the AU accounts.  This is because a real human (the underwriter) will be opening your actual credit reports.  When he sees AU accounts, that weakens his belief in the validity of your FICO score.  Because of course your score is relying on what someone else has done, rather than you.  I say that it "may" be in your interest.  I can't say that for sure, but I suggest you explore that as a possibility. 

Wow, what a fantastic reply! Thank you for taking the time!

I would say that I will be 100% ready to buy a home within 2 years. My objective is to save cash for a nice down payment, and create a healthy payment history and low credi utilization record in the time being. 

I do have installment loans. To better get the help I need, here is the breakdown of my credit:

MyFico EQ: 634

MyFico:TU: 650

MyFico EX: 637

Revolving AU Accounts:

Total Limit:  $14.7k

Total Balance: $0

Revolving Individual Accounts (All New cards - 5 in total):

Total Limit:  $8.7k

Total Balance: $0

Installment Accounts:

Truck Loan: 

High Balance: $41k

Current: $38k

Motorcycle:

High Balance: $11k

Current: $7k

I also have a installment chargeoff for a truck. I owe about $7k from 2 years ago. Getting ready to pay that off (possibly settle).

---- Settlement question: better to settle or pay off in full? Does it affect credit either way? Or just future cred from the same company?----

Also have child support at $330/mo

I've paid off all of my collections except 2. One for $2k which is being deleted come December 2015, and one for $4k whcih I may settle for half soon.

My goal in general is to break 700 within the next 2 years. I haven't had any credit cards for a while and the ones I did have I just paid off (they went to charge-offs). 

What other information can I provide you to help me? You rock!

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

PS.  Switchblade, you mention that you are "rebuilding" your credit.  Can we assume then that you have some negative information on your credit reports?  (Lates, collections, liens, etc?)

If so, a crucial thing for you to do is join the "rebuilding" forum on this site and see whether they can help you get some of your derogatory records removed.  That is the big thing you should think about.  It will help you a LOT if you can do that.  (Though the other things I mention in my post above will also help.)

Ah yes. Please see above post! I do have some collections, repo and a charge offs. I have paid most of them, but if I can get them REMOVED?! Bingo! I will visit that forum!

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that encouraging and kind word, Switchblade. 

I have little experience with knowing how to deal with derogatory data on one's report.  I had a gigantic amount, far more than you, back in the 90s.  But I basically crawled under a rock and hid, and nobody ever came after me for it.  Eventually the statute of limitations passed and then a year after that everything fell off my reports.

But my approach back then is not what I'd recomend to anyone else.  The folks on the rebuilding forum know a lot about it.  Work carefully, get mutliple perspectives, think through the advice you get, google a lot. 

I would explore carefully the advice I gave you about the AU. The advice I gave you there is not my own.  There's a guy on this forum who brings that up a lot, one of the site veterans.  In your case you'll need to balance how much help the AU accounts are giving you with your score against the fact that, to an underwriter, they may render your score meaningless.  One fact that may help you decide is how old those AU accounts are.  How old are each of the two AU accounts?  And of the accounts that are both solely yours and 100% clean (no derogs) what is the oldest account?

The AU question may deserve its own thread, if you don't get a lot of feedback on it here.

Looks like you have two open installment loans (with no negative data attached to them).  Is that right?  If you have plenty of cash, you could think about paying down the principal on each (to less than 60% of the amount of the original loan).  You would certainly get a score boost by doing that.  But be careful there -- maybe it makes more sense to put that into your down payment fund.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for that encouraging and kind word, Switchblade. 

I have little experience with knowing how to deal with derogatory data on one's report.  I had a gigantic amount, far more than you, back in the 90s.  But I basically crawled under a rock and hid, and nobody ever came after me for it.  Eventually the statute of limitations passed and then a year after that everything fell off my reports.

But my approach back then is not what I'd recomend to anyone else.  The folks on the rebuilding forum know a lot about it.  Work carefully, get mutliple perspectives, think through the advice you get, google a lot. 

I would explore carefully the advice I gave you about the AU. The advice I gave you there is not my own.  There's a guy on this forum who brings that up a lot, one of the site veterans.  In your case you'll need to balance how much help the AU accounts are giving you with your score against the fact that, to an underwriter, they may render your score meaningless.  One fact that may help you decide is how old those AU accounts are.  How old are each of the two AU accounts?  And of the accounts that are both solely yours and 100% clean (no derogs) what is the oldest account?

The AU question may deserve its own thread, if you don't get a lot of feedback on it here.

Looks like you have two open installment loans (with no negative data attached to them).  Is that right?  If you have plenty of cash, you could think about paying down the principal on each (to less than 60% of the amount of the original loan).  You would certainly get a score boost by doing that.  But be careful there -- maybe it makes more sense to put that into your down payment fund.

You are full of insight!

Yes I do have 2 open installment accounts with no negative data. They are as healthy as it gets. The truck is 1 years old and the bike loan is 2 years. So good credit history on those two.

Two of the AU accounts are from 2007 and one from 2012. So they are the oldest open accounts in my credit. I picked up 5 new cards yesterday/today. Little overboard, I know =/ 

Without those AU accounts my oldest accounts are less than 2 years. Everything else is closed, paid off or in derog/collections. I have 4 accounts total that are in derog that need to be paid off. 2 of which will come off in a few months anyway. (1 I paid and the other has reached its 7 years)

You are right, I should pay down the remaining balances. I was under the impression that it didn't make a difference unless it was down to 30% or less. 60% is much more doable! 

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may want to message a guy on here named Revelate.  He seems to have done more work than anyone on exactly where the breakpoints are for installment loans.  I believe his testing appears to show that you get a benefit at 80% and again at 60% (and then again at certain other lower thresholds).  But ask him.

Good luck with everything, SB!

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You may want to message a guy on here named Revelate.  He seems to have done more work than anyone on exactly where the breakpoints are for installment loans.  I believe his testing appears to show that you get a benefit at 80% and again at 60% (and then again at certain other lower thresholds).  But ask him.

Good luck with everything, SB!

Thank you very much!

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.