cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any CU's that don't pull your credit report just for membership?

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Are there any CU's that don't pull your credit report just for membership?

Inquiries are no longer scored by FICO after one year.

If not planning to apply for new credit in the immediate future, now is perhaps the right time to burn the inquiry, and let it die a year from now.

Waiting until you need credit from them to apply for membership would not by the way I would go.

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

BECU was a soft pull for me, both for membership and a LOC. Nasa hard pulled me twice.

Message 12 of 20
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@mikelo22 wrote:

Are there any good ones out there that don't hard pull your credit report just for applying for membership, not for credit?

Good is highly subjective so always be very clear regarding your specific requirements when using the word.  Why are you joining CU's just to join?  Join CU's that have products that are of use to you.

@mikelo22 wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking about applying to some now so I could build a relationship through a savings account or something.

Do not rely on the relationship meme.  Your credit profile and income will be the primary considerations with any creditor.  Don't overlook CU's just because they HP to join.

@Anonymous wrote:

How easy is it to join DCU?

Check their site.  CU's will have eligiblity and info on joining on their sites.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@mikelo22 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

NasaFCU often doesn't pull credit. But they're a quirky bunch. If your eyes can withstand a circa 2000 website and circa 2007 iPhone app, it's worth checking out. But I'd read up here as due diligence. 

ETA: But one has to ask - if you're not applying for credit, what are you looking for? A relationship for WHAT in the future? 

To shop around for auto loans and mortgages.  Possibly a CC in the future, but I've no need for any further credit at the time.

I'm also a member at DCU and for what you're saying, I'd put DCU ahead of Nasa with an EQ HP for membership. Overall I trust them more for something major like a house or car. I haven't even looked at rates for that stuff at Nasa. But I like the security of a $30k PLOC with no HP. Or as someone else said, Penfed. 

Why worry about joining now? Why not just shop when the time comes? In general, I'd say relationship doesn't matter. But to add to the idea of joining DCU or Penfed they often have pre-approved offers on accounts quartlerly (Penfed) and other random times (DCU...may be quarterly or may be just when I joined, I'm not sure). (I'm not a member o fPenfed, just keep up with them on here.) 

Hey there. Which CU are you referring to with the 30K PLOC with no HP?

Message 15 of 20
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Just wanted to come back here wiith an update.  I applied for membership at MSU FCU and NASA FCU.  I only opened savings accounts with each of them and put like a token $20 in each of them.  

The best news, however, is that when I checked my credit report with all three bureaus, neither credit union HP'd me. So my golden spade stays! Smiley Very Happy

Sounds like the HP/SP is very much YMMV.  Though I would like to know if those that got HP'd just apped for a savings account, or if they went ahead and apped for a credit card as well.

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

CAPTOOL: "BECU was a soft pull for me, both for membership and a LOC."

BECU was a soft pull for me for a checking and savings account. Hard pull a couple months later when I added a LoC.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

BECU was a soft pull for me for a checking and savings account. Hard pull a couple months later when I added a LoC.

I did my LOC app at the same time I opened the checking and savings. I got this when I was setting up the accounts, so I jumped on it:

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I did my LOC app at the same time I opened the checking and savings. I got this when I was setting up the accounts, so I jumped on it:

@humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote:
I will second (or third) the idea the BECU is a SP for membership, and a SP for both savings and checking accounts. No HP to open these two types of accounts. Enjoying them thus far. Smiley Happy
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

SKyone FCU is a smaller CU for airlines and airport employees, I'm not sure of other membership requirements.  I  received an auto loan and checking & savings with sp's only.  The auto loan was flawless and funded in 24 hrs.  Based on score they used compared to my CCT scores at the time approval, I believe the sp was from EX08.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.