Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aspire Visa, Scam Need Advise HELP, HELP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aspire Visa, Scam Need Advise HELP, HELP

Had this card since 2001, lost my job at the end of 2002 here in SF and was out of work for over a year. In the mean time I signed up all of my Credit Cards with a Consumer Debt Counselor so that I can consolidate and pay off... All accepted except Aspire and I tried for months for them to accept payment plan through the Debt Counselor. My credit limit was $2500.00 in the mean time while I was paying them here and there at times over 300.00... amount owed never went down rather increased. By 2006 they started calling me at my Job 10-14 times a day, home and everywhere. Very embarrasing, they were out of control.  Finally I begged the Credit Counseling people to plead on my behalf to accept a payment offer. In 2006 they accepted and now I pay them $112.00 every month.

Now I feel like I was screwed. On my credit report it is reported as a Charge off, just looks really bad... don't know what that means. I just signed up with FICO just a week ago, and I am hoping for any advise...

The debt went from $2500.00 all the way to $5800.00 and now $4100.00 but in over all they are paid well over $4000.00 since end of 2002. I don't want to pay anymore, I feel like I paid my dues. If they would have accepted payment plans they would have been long paid. Please any advise on how I should approach this??

All my other credit  cards about five of them are paid off..

HELP, HELP
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Aspire Visa, Scam Need Advise HELP, HELP

Charge off is simply an accounting term- "Charged to profit or Loss" they wrote this off their balance sheet.
This is probably an accurate description of the account status.

You stated you have been paying on this- so you are under SOL. If you stop paying they will just turn around a sue you.

Increase the payment to them- or settle it or PFD.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

how do you approach them to settle, how do I go about it, I can't seem to find no one to talk except collectors in India..
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also what does PFD stads for and also SOL??
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

foust wrote:
Also what does PFD stads for and also SOL??

Welcome. 

PFD = "pay for delete".  You write a PFD letter to get an unpaid collection removed.  You offer to pay all or part of the amount if the creditor will delete it from your credit reports.  Here is a thread with examples of letters you can use as a starting point:

Here are 2 threads which explain SOL (statute of limitations):

Good luck!
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

foust, welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of information here, to help you answer your questions you might have. Please read:

1.) Credit Scoring 101 in the Understanding FICO Scoring:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=ficoscoring&thread.id=2654

2. We have a language of our own. I suggest you print out copy of Guide to Common Abbreviations, found in Understanding, etc as well:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=ficoscoring&thread.id=1325

PFD = Pay For Delete
SOL = Statue of Limitations.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all, this is a good start, wish I knew about this site a while ago... thanks.
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

foust wrote:
... wish I knew about this site a while ago...

Don't we all! Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 16
Tink
New Contributor

Be very careful with them. They sued me. My case was dismissed without prejudice but that doesn't mean they can drag me back in court. It was dismissed after my attorney requested a continuance.  My attorney who has been  working with the CA since September and they have not accepted my offer yet. I keep geting different debt collection notices and I send them to my attorney. Good luck with them!
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

AOL had an article on this company (check aol finances and do a search). Aspire is a huge scam. I had a credit limit with them for 300.00 and I missed a payment, got an over the limit fee, late fee and my monthly payment. My monthly payment was 25.00 plus the late fee (29.00), plus over the credit limit fee (29.00) , made the payments totally 83.00, they didn't get my payment in time (so they said) so I had another late fee, over the credit limit fee, it became one huge cycle couldn't keep up. Finally I closed the account. The fees kept adding up, and up until this month it wasn't paid and late fees accruing. It ended up costing me 1,800.00 it went to a collection company too. Thank God it's paid now, Never use this company. BTW, the inital charge to use the card was 150.00, plus the 50.00 annual fee. I had a initial credit limit of 100.00 after first opening the card. Also stay away from HSBC, same thing as above happened to me with them.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.