Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asset Acceptance...a new one for you.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Asset Acceptance...a new one for you.

Hi,

I was just reading some of the posts regarding this company and I have one too which appears to be a little different from what I've read so far. I was recently contacted by Asset Acceptance about a debt (get ready for this) that is 17 years old. They claimed that I had a New York and Co. Credit Card in March of 1990 and that I owed $202 at the time the account was closed. I had a Lerner's Credit Card, but apparently they were purchased by the former. Now, I did look into the statute of limitations for GA but, I was in New Jersey at that time and Asset is located in Texas. I'm not sure which state's SOL to look at.

Either way, I can't remember if I paid that or not and I don't have bank records that go back that far. Even banks are only required to keep information back as far as seven years. I'm pretty sure I paid it though, because I when I moved to GA in 1997, I made sure that all of my old debt was paid off. Whatever was on my credit report was taken care of. The only way this thing could have gone on for so long is if it weren't there, and it's still not, presumably because it's too old. Although I will say this, it doesn't show up on any of my credit reports when I went to refinance my home with Suntrust, they knew about it. I don't know how that could be.

Either way, I'm upset at the fact they are attempting to collect a debt so old and are now calling my house regularly. Mind you, my phone number hasn't changed since I've been in Georgia. They are trying to take advantage of me, and I'm not sure what to do about it. I finally got a letter from them and will send them a letter asking them to validate the debt, but the original card issuer doesn't have any record of how my account got to them. They show my account having a zero balance. What should I do? Or better yet, what is the proper agency for me to contact?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Asset Acceptance...a new one for you.

As a newbie here, I'll take a stab at this one since its an easy one Smiley Happy

Get an address and send them a cease and desist letter.

On the letter tell them to stop contacting you and if they either contact or report anything to anyone you will sue them till the cows come home.

End of newbie advice. Smiley Happy

Kevin
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Asset Acceptance---Very scary company. Check out www.budhibbs.com Thay are listed as one of the WORST CA's in America!Smiley Mad
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

this company is a real pain I had a co through them and they garnished my wages. this was back in 2003 that it was paid. It still showed up as unpaid I kept calling them requesting them to change the status paid and they would not.  I finally got a lawyer and had them change it. If you call do not give them your full ssn# or any other info. They are very rude and kept on saying we are debt collector. it took awhile to have it cleared up. One thing that they are good at is changing the date so they do not have to remove it off the credit report. If you feel that it was paid long time ago I would send them a verifaction of debt send out certified. Chances are they most likey will not respond. But it is good to have in case they try to take you to court. you can show that you been trying to clear it up. Good Luck
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all. You have some helpful info. I'll send them a letter. It just seems as though I should be able to report this to the FTC or something. After searching on the net, it seems there is just a flood of people complaining about this company.
Message 5 of 10
VLGaffEsq
Regular Contributor

Even better, have your cease and desist letter sent by an attorney (if at all possible).  Doing so will have a much stronger effect rather than it coming from you, and THAT will surely stop, by law, the harassing phone calls.

Another key fact in your favor is that there are statute of limitations which has no doubt run on this debt, so make sure to mention that in your letter.  Good luck.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Asset Acceptance does not follow the law. Period. I would write them - notify the debt is beyond SOL, and that you do NOT want them to continue collection efforts or contact you further. DO NOT in any way conceded that the debt is yours. Send it CMRRR. Keep thorough records!
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much. I sent them a validation letter via certified mail. I didn't acknowledge any part in owning the debt....which I really do believe I've paid off by the way. The only way I've never paid it is if it were never on my credit report in all these years. I figured that if I did have to go to prove anything, I can at least show that I did inquire about the debt before flat out denying any part in it. I will send them a letter quoting the SOL if they do contact me again afterwards. They are still calling me every single day. What I've done is recorded the message since my voice mail plays the number, the date etc. This way I have recorded proof of harrassment. If nothing else, I can get them on that.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question - I was helping a friend with Asset so I sent the DV - what I got was a statement showing he originally owed Providian and now they tacked on 1600 in charges - it was like a statement - is he screwed?

Thanks!
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

BUMP
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.