Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auth. User Law?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auth. User Law?

Does anyone know when the law or change that makes it to where your authroized user accounts that are helping your score no longer count in your score? Also what is utils?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auth. User Law?

Welcome!

There is no law about AUs.  FICO has said that it intends to change its formula so that AUs will no longer share the account history of their primary users.  We do not know when this change will be made.

"Util" is short for utilization.  A big part of your credit score is how much of your available credit you use.  If you max out your cards (use all or most of your credit limit), it is very bad for your scores. 
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I disagree with the new fico law and auth users becuase i believe auth accounts help young kids establish credit its a great start to get credit
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Again, it is not a "law".   Everything FICO does is based on risk assessment.   In their estimation, why should people get points for credit that they are not responsible for?

Message 4 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
I disagree with the new fico law and auth users becuase i believe auth accounts help young kids establish credit its a great start to get credit

Again, it's not a law. It is a scoring formula.

This change was made due to the numbers of people buying AU status on the accounts of complete strangers to artificially inflate their scores.

I don't like what this change does to couples who have long been an AU on a partner's card, which was a very common practice in my younger days. Although I don't think AU status is necessary for kids. All three of my young adult kids established their own credit without any AU accounts. Those who are new to credit can get a credit union card or a secured card, and after 6 months of squeaky-clean payment history, they generally have scores around 680 or so. My three now have scores in the low-to-mid 700's, which makes me grimly jealous.

But yes, it's yet another example of people who have been doing the right thing, and yet they wind up getting punished because of the actions of the unethical.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.