Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorize User Question

tag
pjsebastian87
Established Member

Authorize User Question

I was an authorized user for a couple of cards,.. Both cards are now charge-off .. from what I learned AU is not responsible for the debt on the account but the Signed Owner.. My Question is,.

Why is the closed account reported in my credit report.. and is there a possible way of removing it..?!

Thank You for your help..!

Starting Score: EX:645 TU:612 EQ:578 as of JAN 2014
Current Score: EX:647 TU:612 EQ:598 as of FEB 2014
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Authorize User Question

@pjsebastian87 wrote:
I was an authorized user for a couple of cards,.. Both cards are now charge-off .. from what I learned AU is not responsible for the debt on the account but the Signed Owner.. My Question is,.

Why is the closed account reported in my credit report.. and is there a possible way of removing it..?!

Thank You for your help..!

As long as your are still on the account, it will report on your CR's unless you dispute the accounts as not yours.  Once you dispute the accounts, you will lose the TL including any history that may be adding to your AAOA. 

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would recommend contacting the cardholder and have them instruct their creditor to remove the AU authorization, which will remove the account from your report.

I would  not dispute as "account not mine".

By definition, being an AU on the account history of another means the account is not yuurs.

You consented to having their account report to your credit file even though it is not yours.

Thus, there is no actual inaccuracy upon which to base a dispute, and no need to get a pending dispute flag in your file.

Message 3 of 4
pjsebastian87
Established Member

That makes sense, Thank You,.

Can the card holder still remove me as an AU even if the account is closed and charged-off..?!

Starting Score: EX:645 TU:612 EQ:578 as of JAN 2014
Current Score: EX:647 TU:612 EQ:598 as of FEB 2014
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.