Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User Question

tag
tamdugg1980
Contributor

Authorized User Question

My mother contacted Chase to add me as an authorized user on her account.  When we spoke to the representative she was told that if she added me as an Authorized User that it would not report on my credit report.  The rep didn't ask for my SSN just my first and last name.  

He said in order for her account to show on my credit report I would need to be added as a "joint account holder".  I am concerned that they will run my credit in order to add me on her account.  I am in the process of purchasing a home and I do not want or need any inquiries at this point.  I thought being added as an Authorized User was all I needed.  I don't understand, someone please help me understand.

Starting score: (April 2011) 530 - myFICO EQ
Current score: (04/2012) EQ - 608 (myFICO), EX FAKO - 671, TU FAKO - 619

Let's see what happens once they report minus the late payments!!!!!!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Authorized User Question

They won't run your credit. No inquiries.

While I can't speak for Chase AUs, CCCs don't need your SSN when you are added as an AU and many will report without the inclusion of your SSN. Why do you want to be added as an AU? For the mortgage process? If so, you'd want it to report, though some CCCs just won't report.

Message 2 of 13
tamdugg1980
Contributor

Thanks for the response!  Yes, I am in the process of purchasing my first home, and my loan officer suggested I try becoming an AU.  My mother agreed to add me on one of her oldest CC's which we did about an hour or so ago.  And the rep said they can add me as an AU,  but it won't report on my CR, and that the only way it would, is if I become a joint user.  As I've read on the repair boards, that some people have had success with Chase.  So, I am hoping that it will work out for me.

Message 3 of 13
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Why do you think you will be added as AU if they rep said they wouldn't?  I thought some cards do, some don't.  I have 4 revolving accounts, only 2 let me add DH as AU.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 13
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@tamdugg1980 wrote:

Thanks for the response!  Yes, I am in the process of purchasing my first home, and my loan officer suggested I try becoming an AU.  My mother agreed to add me on one of her oldest CC's which we did about an hour or so ago.  And the rep said they can add me as an AU,  but it won't report on my CR, and that the only way it would, is if I become a joint user.  As I've read on the repair boards, that some people have had success with Chase.  So, I am hoping that it will work out for me.

This might be true but I have little if any confidence in what a first line CSR tells me about anything.

Here are some older threads talking about Chase & AU's. I didn't read very many of them but the ones I saw it looks like the posters said that Chase does report AU's. But I don't have a Chase card so I I don't know for sure.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was under the impression (and could be wrong) that if you weren't providing your SSN, it wouldn't report. If your SSN is needed, then it should report. Again, I could be wrong but that is my understanding.

Also, if you're added as a joint account holder, you become just as responsible for the bill, and they will most likely pull your credit for it, so you definitely don't want to try that right now.

*Edit* read through a couple posts. Looks like the CSR's say it doesn't report, but many have reported that it does (without SSN). Interesting. You can try it. It obviously won't hurt anything, as long as she's been keeping her utilization low and payments on time.

Message 6 of 13
tamdugg1980
Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

Why do you think you will be added as AU if they rep said they wouldn't?  I thought some cards do, some don't.  I have 4 revolving accounts, only 2 let me add DH as AU.

I'm basing my assumption on the other posts and posters that have had success with Chase.  If it works then great, if it doesn't then we may have to go the "joint account holder" route, though that is NOT my preference, simply because I can't handle any inquiries at this point!

Message 7 of 13
tamdugg1980
Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@tamdugg1980 wrote:

This might be true but I have little if any confidence in what a first line CSR tells me about anything.

Here are some older threads talking about Chase & AU's. I didn't read very many of them but the ones I saw it looks like the posters said that Chase does report AU's. But I don't have a Chase card so I I don't know for sure.

Think we should try and contact maybe a manager?  Or should I be patient and wait to see if it does report?  

Message 8 of 13
tamdugg1980
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

*Edit* read through a couple posts. Looks like the CSR's say it doesn't report, but many have reported that it does (without SSN). Interesting. You can try it. It obviously won't hurt anything, as long as she's been keeping her utilization low and payments on time

The good thing about my mom is, she has been in the banking, finance, mortgage industry for YEARS, and though her knowledge didn't rub off on my until LATE in life, I have no doubts that her util will remain low and her payments will be on time!  We've already contacted Chase and had them add me, so it's just a matter of wait and see.  I wonder how long it takes to update though? Smiley Indifferent

Message 9 of 13
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@tamdugg1980 wrote:

Think we should try and contact maybe a manager?  Or should I be patient and wait to see if it does report?  

I would just wait. If it does report it should be within weeks if not sooner. However that is my experience with AU's with other issuers not Chase.

I'm kind of surprised no Chase account holders have given their input on this yet.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.