Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized User?

I hope I'm putting this in the correct section.

So I just had a question about an account on my credit report. I'm an authorized user on a store card that was opened back in 2000, this is the only late payment(made 4 years ago) reported on my credit report.

My question is, can this be removed from my credit report since it wasn't really my card? Does an authorized user mean I would be responsible for making payments if the person who opened the card wasn't able to(or is that considered a joint account holder)? Would that hurt my credit if it were removed? My total credit history is only about 10 years old, so that account is one of the 2 that were opened in 2000...so would removing it cause a problem? I guess it just bugs me because it's the only late payment listed on my report and it wasn't really my card, though I did use it! My credit is good overall and my score is above average, I was just wondering if not having that on there would be more of a positive than a negative.

Any feedback would be appreciated.....

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized User?

From what you have described, it is probably not having much of an effect on your score. 

I would recommend just not dwelling on it.  

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the response!
Message 3 of 5
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I hope I'm putting this in the correct section.

So I just had a question about an account on my credit report. I'm an authorized user on a store card that was opened back in 2000, this is the only late payment(made 4 years ago) reported on my credit report.

Assuming its a 30 day late, its barely hurting your score if even that. Dont worry about its effect on the score. You can try a GW to get it off if you want clean reports..but theres a danger that the furnisher could delete the entire TL. So IMO just ignore it. 

My question is, can this be removed from my credit report since it wasn't really my card?

YES. The owner has to call and get the card cancelled and then ask that it be removed from your CBRs. You can call the issuer and ask for it to be removed. If that does not work, dispute with the CRAs as 'no longer an AU'.

Does an authorized user mean I would be responsible for making payments if the person who opened the card wasn't able to(or is that considered a joint account holder)?

As an AU you are not responsible for any payments wahtsoever. Now there might be a bank or two. Got to check on AMEX but I dont believe theres any store card that makes an AU responsbile as well. As you understand it, a joint holder is responsible though.

Would that hurt my credit if it were removed? My total credit history is only about 10 years old, so that account is one of the 2 that were opened in 2000...so would removing it cause a problem?

It seems like its older than your AAoA so its certainly gonna hurt your score. So just let it be. AAoA is sometimes underestimated. Its not so easy to keep it up and its not under your direct control such as, say, your UTL. 

I guess it just bugs me because it's the only late payment listed on my report and it wasn't really my card, though I did use it! My credit is good overall and my score is above average, I was just wondering if not having that on there would be more of a positive than a negative.

More negative than positve....let it be. A single late 4 years ago on an  AU a/c on an otherwise clean 10 year record is not at all a problem. Dont worry.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks very much!

Yep, it was a 30 day late...

The info was helpful. I'll just leave it as is, sounds like I would have to through a lot to get it removed anyway.

Thanks again for the responses.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.