Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized Users

tag
mrgoattoo
New Contributor

Authorized Users

I have three step children from a previous marriage and the daughter from that marriage and her husband are looking to buy a house.

Their credit is so-so and I was thinking of just adding them both as AU's to a low CL credit card to see if it might help boost their FICO a few points and maybe save them some interest.

I will not be allowing them to charge anything...they wont be getting a physical card at all, and the limit on the card Im using for this has been lowered to $500 because I use it for online purchases only, so the liability risk here is pretty much zero. They will just be being added as AU's so it may help boost their score a little.

Q: Am I correct in assuming that any AU on a card can in no way affect your credit score (assuming the CC you put them on is always paid on time) ?

Q: I had heard there were some changes to the AU rules and that its possible that this wont help their score at all since they arent immediately related anymore due to my divorce from my step daughters mother, is this accurate or will it help their FICO to be an AU on my CC since its a well established card that Ive been making payments on for years?

I have more questions but I'd like these figured out first because if these dont fly then there isnt much reason to proceed.

Thanks in advance.

TU FICO average 819
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Authorized Users

@mrgoattoo wrote:

I have three step children from a previous marriage and the daughter from that marriage and her husband are looking to buy a house.

Their credit is so-so and I was thinking of just adding them both as AU's to a low CL credit card to see if it might help boost their FICO a few points and maybe save them some interest.

I will not be allowing them to charge anything...they wont be getting a physical card at all, and the limit on the card Im using for this has been lowered to $500 because I use it for online purchases only, so the liability risk here is pretty much zero. They will just be being added as AU's so it may help boost their score a little.

Q: Am I correct in assuming that any AU on a card can in no way affect your credit score (assuming the CC you put them on is always paid on time) ?

Q: I had heard there were some changes to the AU rules and that its possible that this wont help their score at all since they arent immediately related anymore due to my divorce from my step daughters mother, is this accurate or will it help their FICO to be an AU on my CC since its a well established card that Ive been making payments on for years?

I have more questions but I'd like these figured out first because if these dont fly then there isnt much reason to proceed.

Thanks in advance.

You're correct that adding an AU to one of your accounts will not affect your FICO score.  On older FICO score models ( FICO04 and earlier ) the AU's FICO score will take the account into consideration.   Newer FICO score models ( FICO08 and newer ) don't factor in AU accounts in many situations.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 9
mrgoattoo
New Contributor

You're correct that adding an AU to one of your accounts will not affect your FICO score.  On older FICO score models ( FICO04 and earlier ) the AU's FICO score will take the account into consideration.   Newer FICO score models ( FICO08 and newer ) don't factor in AU accounts in many situations.

I see...thanks for the info.

So it may or may not help them out depending on what FICO model is used, if Im understanding you correctly.

TU FICO average 819
Message 3 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@mrgoattoo wrote:

So it may or may not help them out depending on what FICO model is used, if Im understanding you correctly.

Yep that's correct from a FICO score perspective.  Underwriting algorithms are able to weed out AU accounts as well.

Message 4 of 9
mrgoattoo
New Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@mrgoattoo wrote:

Yep that's correct from a FICO score perspective.  Underwriting algorithms are able to weed out AU accounts as well.

Ok.

Thanks for the help.

I'll let them know that we can give it a shot but it may not make any difference.

Seems like a few FICO points can really make the difference in gettting a mortgage payment you can afford...and one you cant.

TU FICO average 819
Message 5 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@mrgoattoo wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

@mrgoattoo wrote:

Ok.

Thanks for the help.

I'll let them know that we can give it a shot but it may not make any difference.

Seems like a few FICO points can really make the difference in gettting a mortgage payment you can afford...and one you cant.

With mortgages it's true that a few points can make a difference due to the firm FICO score cutoffs.  Be aware that the mortgage industry is standardised on the FICO04 score model which does factor in AU accounts.

Message 6 of 9
mrgoattoo
New Contributor

"Be aware that the mortgage industry is standardised on the FICO04 score model which does factor in AU accounts."

Great. Hopefully it stays that way long enough for them to get a decent interest rate if it gets them into the next FICO bracket.

TU FICO average 819
Message 7 of 9
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

How old is the account? Will it report as the open date or the date you added them? This may help even with a new date IF they have no credit cards. Otherwise the AAoA may hurt the scores with a thin file. The low limit will likely have no effect on DTI or UTL so that's a good and a bad for this purpose. As stated above luckily mortgages are using 04 model.

Good luck to them!

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 8 of 9
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

If you have a credit card debt of $20,000, FICO 04 can lower the utilization and increase the score by way of AU, but you still owe $20,000. Being AU also won’t remove baddies or anything else, except maybe also increase the AAoA. An underwriter can overwrite FICO on rates, I would imagine (but don’t know). Given your own scores, I can only assume you know exactly the needed advice to give your daughter and her husband on how to fine-tune their credit; there may be some potential there? Good luck!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.