cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user ; Available credit VS Account age

tag
Polo4TLB

Authorized user ; Available credit VS Account age

I have been building my credit up on my own over the pasy few years, but I recently added a few of my dads account (he added me as an AU) and added about 20,000 in Additional Credit with about 6,ooo Charged so with 30% usage . He recently got an AMEX Starwood Card with an 8,700 limit.  I thought they would backf=date him because he had an account many years ago but they didnt so it says member since 14.  With his permission, of course, I added myaself as an AU to add that 8,700 of additional credit to lower my utliization , BUT I am wonderign if it will hurt my account age and what is more important.  I went on a spree a few months ago and added 7 new cards, so it put a dent in my account age and if it wasnt for his 21 year old shell gas card on my accoutn as an AU I would be suffering.  SO my question is should I cancel the request to be an AU on his AMEX?  Or would the 8,700 available credit outweigh the age issue?  I also want to start a relatonship with them, I have my last baddies falling off in the next few months leaving me with a pristine credit credit, except for high usage on some cards.  OPINIONS please???  THANK YOU!!!

Amazon Store Card $ 800, Amazon Visa Chase $ 2000, CapOne Quicksilver $ 500, CapOne Plat Rwds $ 1000, Citi Diamond Prefd $ 1200, Macy's Str Crd $ 1000, MyBestBuy Str Crd $ 2000, Merrick Visa $ 1800, WalMart Str Card $1000, Dillards Str Crd $800, Discover it $1200 (AU ACCOUNTS) BOA 8,000, Citi 10,500 Shell 2,500, AMEX SPG 8,700
Credit Score:
CK:622, KC Vantage: 648, Quizzle: 694, Walmart Fico:660, Cap1 TU: 632, Credit.com:693, Creditsesame:693, Credit.com/Vantage: 684 PLUS EXP:662 Equ:671 TU: 662

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Authorized user ; Available credit VS Account age

I would suggest breaking the AU connections and going forward on your own.

Message 2 of 3
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Authorized user ; Available credit VS Account age

@Polo4TLB wrote:

I thought they would backf=date him because he had an account many years ago but they didnt so it says member since 14.

The date on a newly issued card may not indicate the actual date reported.  The first BCP I received had 2014 on it yet it reported with the year of my MSD and subsequent replacements had the correct year.  I don't recally what happened with my other recent AmEx card.

@Polo4TLB wrote:

IOr would the 8,700 available credit outweigh the age issue?

Which is the bigger slice?

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

That said, keep in mind that not all creditors factor in accounts where you're an AU.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.