Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user account removed--shouldn't have been

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized user account removed--shouldn't have been

I have been an authorized user on my dad's Discover card since high school to help build my credit. It's been over 10 years and it's got a high credit limit so it really helps my credit score. Last month, the account was closed and re-opened due to fraud but Discover couldn't tell us what the fraud was. My score dropped 53 points. It was added back to my credit report but my score only recovered 18 points. A few days ago, I was notified by Credit Karma that it was removed again and that my score dropped 71 points. I contacted Discover and they said I'm still an authorized user on the account and the account is still open so I need to contact Transunion (it wasn't removed from Experian or Equifax...so far). 

My questions are: why would it only be removed from Transunion? How hard is it to get the account added back to my report? Will my score ever recover? My husband and I are trying to buy a house...

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Authorized user account removed--shouldn't have been

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been an authorized user on my dad's Discover card since high school to help build my credit. It's been over 10 years and it's got a high credit limit so it really helps my credit score. Last month, the account was closed and re-opened due to fraud but Discover couldn't tell us what the fraud was. My score dropped 53 points. It was added back to my credit report but my score only recovered 18 points. A few days ago, I was notified by Credit Karma that it was removed again and that my score dropped 71 points. I contacted Discover and they said I'm still an authorized user on the account and the account is still open so I need to contact Transunion (it wasn't removed from Experian or Equifax...so far). 

My questions are: why would it only be removed from Transunion? How hard is it to get the account added back to my report? Will my score ever recover? My husband and I are trying to buy a house...

Welcome to the forums!

Credit Karma scores aren't reference for a mortgage (fortunately) or much of anything else for that matter these days; I don't know why it would've been removed by Transunion but sometimes AU's get tacked onto the wrong person's file.  I'd wait for the next Discover statement to cut and see if it returns, and if it doesn't, talking to Transunion is probably the right path as it sounds like it's getting lost somewhere. 

        
Message 2 of 4
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I honestly would not worry about the big score decrease your seeing on Credit karma , it's not your true fico , it's only used as a tool . I would do as the other poster above stated . And if your going to be buying a home soon I would maybe get your true fico scores so you know where you stand bf apping .
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice! We did a pre-approval and my score matched what CreditKarma said so I guess that's why I was so concerned. In addition to the issue with Discover, Wells Fargo said I'm 60 days late on my student loan payment that is supposed to be on in-school forbearance. That coupled with the two Discover incidences dropped my score significantly and I panicked. The WF issue is resolved so I'm hoping everything with Discover gets resolved too.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.