Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user needs advice!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized user needs advice!

My husband heard me say I wanted a credit card (up to now I have only used my debit card), so he added me as an authorized user to his card.  I received a card but have never activated it.  My credit score of 754 is better than his, and recently I got an alert from myFico that my score had decreased by 4 points because of the high balance on this card.  A couple of months after becoming an auth user and before I got this alert, I paid $8000 of the $11000 balance ($18000 limit), bringing the current balance to around $3000.  This month I will pay $1500 to get the balance down under 10% of the credit limit and will keep close tabs on that.  I feel like I'm being penalized for trying to help him, and I don't want my score to continue to go down because I'm tied to this card.  I had the understanding that as an authorized user, the activity on his card would not affect my score, but apparently it has even though I have never activated or used my card.  I have been responsible with my use of credit and really would like to have the use of a credit card.  My questions are:  Should I have him call Amex to have my name taken off his account, or will that have a negative impact on my score?  Can I reverse the damage it has already done to my credit score?  Will it be better to keep things as they are and continue to pay down the balance than to apply for a card in my name only, not knowing what impact that will have on my score?  
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized user needs advice!

You need to have your own card- you deserve it and AU status will be going away next year.

@Anonymous wrote:
My husband heard me say I wanted a credit card (up to now I have only used my debit card), so he added me as an authorized user to his card. I received a card but have never activated it. My credit score of 754 is better than his, and recently I got an alert from myFico that my score had decreased by 4 points because of the high balance on this card. A couple of months after becoming an auth user and before I got this alert, I paid $8000 of the $11000 balance ($18000 limit), bringing the current balance to around $3000. This month I will pay $1500 to get the balance down under 10% of the credit limit and will keep close tabs on that. I feel like I'm being penalized for trying to help him, and I don't want my score to continue to go down because I'm tied to this card. I had the understanding that as an authorized user, the activity on his card would not affect my score, but apparently it has even though I have never activated or used my card. I have been responsible with my use of credit and really would like to have the use of a credit card. My questions are: Should I have him call Amex to have my name taken off his account, or will that have a negative impact on my score? Can I reverse the damage it has already done to my credit score? Will it be better to keep things as they are and continue to pay down the balance than to apply for a card in my name only, not knowing what impact that will have on my score?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi olive, and welcome to the forum. There's a wealth of information here.

I totally agree with Timothy. You need AND deserve a few credit cards that are yours, and yours alone, in my opinion.

And with your great credit scores, you will have no problem of choosing and getting the cc of your choice. Many of us here have wonderful resources to help you to determine what credit cards will serve your needs. Do not hesitate to ask. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 4
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

The AMEX might be a charge card and not a credit card.  You absolutely need your own credit card and with your scores, you should have pick of the litter.  Get something fee free that you can see your self keeping and using 'forever'.

Keep the AU since you are getting that UTI down.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.