Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user on my deceased mothers credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized user on my deceased mothers credit card

I am 31 years old; when I was 18 years old or so my mom put me on one of her credit cards as an authorized user. Quite frankly I had forgotten all about this as I never once used that card or even have a physical copy of it. As it happens she passed it away October 16th from cancer. I promptly called up all her credit cards and asked them to close the accounts. She did not have enough in her estate to pay off her debts and as the executor of the estate I have been informing creditors of this as they contact me.

Due to life insurance and retirement plans that I was the beneficiary on I personally am doing better now and was able to pay off my credit cards and most likely will get to pay off my student loans and be debt free with enough left over for a downpayment on a house. Because of this I signed up at myfico.com earlier this week since I knew my score should be improving and because I probably will be applying for a mortgage in the next 6 months I wanted to keep a close eye on it. When I signed up my score was a 737. Just 2 days later I get a notice saying it dropped to a 681.

The reason for the drop was:

"You’ve recently missed a payment or the date of your most recent missed payment is unknown."
"You have multiple accounts showing missed payments or derogatory descriptions."

The account was the chase credit card account belonging to my mom that I was listed as an authorized user on. This was not a joint account and I should not have any legal responsibility for this card so I don't understand why it can drop my score 56 points. The card never had a late payment and I informed the credit card company of her death within a week or two of the date of death.

Under additional details it shows the previous balance of $5,362 and the newly reported balance is blank. Past due and current due are both $0 and the status just changed from "Pays accounts as agreed" to "Not more than two payments past due." The description states "Account closed by credit grantor Credit card."

Now I can understand my score going down a little just because the account was closed and it was an account that had been open for 10 years which would effect my length of credit history although I have a few cards myself that are approaching that age so it should not had been a real big deal. But what I think is hurting me more is the "Not more than two payments past due" part which I should have no legal responsibility for.

Is there anything I can do about this? When I never signed anything or agreed to be a authorized user on that card is it right that they can drop my score 56 points. Who do I dispute this with? Equifax? Chase?

Thanks for any advice

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: Authorized user on my deceased mothers credit card

Write a letter to the creditor asking for a DV, or just dispute it.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 2 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

You can't send a DV because it's an OC (CC), but ditto to a dispute because the account isn't yours. Also, if Chase reports the cardholder as deceased, you will lose your FICO score because one of the requirements is that no account be listed as deceased.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed a dispute with Equifax.  Not sure how they expect you to explain an issue like this in 250 characters or less but I suppose just saying "I have no legal obligation to this account" will have to suffice.  

I only have my Equifax report through myfico.com at the moment.  Am I going to have to dispute this with all 3 agencies or once it gets resolved with one do the others update automatically?  

Message 4 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I filed a dispute with Equifax.  Not sure how they expect you to explain an issue like this in 250 characters or less but I suppose just saying "I have no legal obligation to this account" will have to suffice.  

I only have my Equifax report through myfico.com at the moment.  Am I going to have to dispute this with all 3 agencies or once it gets resolved with one do the others update automatically?  

If that dispute doesn't work; I would send a certified mail return reciept requested dispute including a dispute letter which says "account is not mine"; a copy of an account statement and a copy of -the death certificate....

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

There is nothing to dispute.  Call the credit card company since you are an authorized user and have  yourself delted form the account. 

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute appears to have worked.  

">>> We have researched the credit account. Account ************ The results are: This item has been deleted from the credit file. If you have additional questions about this item please contact: Chase Card Services, P.O.Box 15298, Wilmington DE 19850 Phone: (800) 955-9900"

Only took about 48hrs.  I have not seen my score go back up on myfico.com but I will give that another 24-48hrs before I worry about it.  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.