Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user question

tag
BBforever
Established Member

Authorized user question

Ok, so my GF and I talked about her adding me as an authorized user to her credit card account (she agreed) to help me with my AAoA and get a small score boost (possibly). Her account is about a 17 years old credit card account (Chase Slate card). Well, when she went to add me as an authorized user, they (Chase) went through their normal whole spill with her "You are responsible for any charges to your account if he charges anything, blah, blah, blah". She's was ok with it (she knows I really don't need her credit card for anything, again I'm just looking for her AAoA, etc for a boost).

Well, when she got home she said "honey I added you to my account as an authorized user and they didn't even need your SS#, DOB, or any information like that".... I was like "well then how in the world are they going to link your AAoA, etc to my credit report?". She said "good question, I didn't even think about that".

Does anyone know if we are supposed to specifically indicate to them that we want it linked to my credit report or anything like that? I figured once we would request an AU, they would automatically do those things! Can anyone shed some light on that for me please?? What am I supposed to do next? 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

Re: Authorized user question

Its normal. they don't need your ssn. they'll figure out who you are. don't ask me how...but they do.
Message 2 of 16
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

It just dawned on me that if you live together they'll use the address and link you that way. just goes to show...THE MAN (or waman..as it were) IS ALWAYS WATCHIN.
Message 3 of 16
BBforever
Established Member

although I stay here very often I actually do have my own apt. And never use my GF's address on anything for me.

Message 4 of 16
BBforever
Established Member

@randyrhodes wrote:
Its normal. they don't need your ssn. they'll figure out who you are. don't ask me how...but they do.

Are you sure?? I can tell you that there are A LOT of people with my same name in the U.S. I don't know how they will know me from any other person with my name......hmmmm

Message 5 of 16
BBforever
Established Member

I will be very impressed and alarmed at the same time, if they link to my credit report without asking my GF for any of my information other than my first and last name (Which is all she gave them).

Message 6 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@BBforever wrote:

I will be very impressed and alarmed at the same time, if they link to my credit report without asking my GF for any of my information other than my first and last name (Which is all she gave them).

CRAs match info using criteria like name, address etc.  if your information does not link, you may not get matched. Monitor your CR's for the next few months to be on the safe Side

Message 7 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@BBforever wrote:

Does anyone know if we are supposed to specifically indicate to them that we want it linked to my credit report or anything like that? 

This is a fairly common question.  If it was needed they would have requested it.

As stated above, keep an eye on your report to confirm.

Message 8 of 16
BBforever
Established Member

Update: So if somehow doesn't match me (and I honestly don't think it will, because we have different last names and addresses. What would I do next to get it to match? Anyone have any ideas?
Message 9 of 16
user9582673

Your girllfriend can probably call Chase and give them your SSN to add to your file.

No personal experience with doing this for Chase, but have seen other people ask this question about other companies doing the same thing.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.