Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Release of Federal Tax Lien

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Automatic Release of Federal Tax Lien

I have a Federal tax lien filed in 1996. On the face of the document it says "For each assessment below,unless notice of lien is refiled by the date given in column (e), this notice shall, on the day following such date, operate as a certificate of release as defined in IRC 6325(a)." The date in column "e" on this lien is 06/24/02, therefore it should be reported as "released" with the date of release as 06/25/02. I sent in hard-copy proof to the CRAs with a protest letter explaining the above, but in both cases (it is only reporting on TUC and EXP), the protest came back as "verified." I then tried to call TUC and EXP...of course, you know where that got me. I went to the courthouse to try and get a release there. They never heard of this, and said "you can't get a release unless you pay it in full..." even though it says right on the document, in plain English, that this document is a certificate of release on or after 06/25/02. I have another one like this in which there are multiple years on one lien, but the top line "last date to refile" elapsed in July 2007...same story. Anyone ever deal with one of these before?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Automatic Release of Federal Tax Lien

(a) Information excluded from consumer reports. Except as authorized under subsection (b) of this section, no consumer reporting agency may make any consumer report containing any of the following items of information:
(3) Paid tax liens which, from date of payment, antedate the report by more than seven years.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Automatic Release of Federal Tax Lien

I would contact them if you know you are safe - according to their info they can only collect for 10 years from date of filling...not necessarily date incurredSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.