Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avianca (Banco de Popular) Unfair Collection Practices - Need Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Avianca (Banco de Popular) Unfair Collection Practices - Need Advice

Hello My Fico Community,

This is my first time here.  I was doing a google search on Avianca and this site popped up.  I really need some advice.

A little about myself.  Late 30s, high income (6 figures), rebuilt my credit 5 years ago which have been well maintained since.  Last year I obtained a Visa from Banco de Popular co-branded with Avianca Airlines.  $25,000 limit, kept 10 to 30% balances for much of the year.  I sometimes run my cards up to 50%, but pay them down pretty aggressively.  

I ran my card up on my Avianca card to $13,000 for xmas shopping and I tried to pay it down to $5,000 (been doing this for a year now) and I was locked out of my account.  I called in to unlock it, and they said they can take payment over the phone while they fix the issue.  I said ok.  Payment went through fine, but I haven't still gotten my login fixed.  I called back several times and was told that my card was terminated and sent to collections because they feel like this is identity theft.

Huh?  Why send me to collections?  Makes no sense. I never missed a payment.  "Fine, what's my balance?.. I will just pay the balance and part ways and give 100% of my spending to Amex"  They told me they can't take any payments anymore.

Ok, so now I am being sent to collections over a misunderstanding.  If they don't want my business, I am fine with it.  I only use cards for points, I have a very high income.  Why send me to collections and ruin my credit in the process?  How can I fight this and show that this is rediculous business practice.  

I will be calling them for next few days to record the phone calls, to keep as evidence, because I feel like I may have to fight this in court.

My rant, sorry about that.  Any advice?  This bank is based in Puerto Rico and the customer service is horrible.  Maybe it's a language barrier?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Kree
Established Contributor

Re: Avianca (Banco de Popular) Unfair Collection Practices - Need Advice

Good news is, if they think the debt is fraudulant, they cannot list it on your credit report.

Bad news is, they might remove the entire card history from your credit report.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The card has been removed from my credit report. This is nuts. So, if they won't let me pay my balance, then I should just leave it alone? I just rather pay the balance and sweep this under the rug so we can part ways.
Message 3 of 5
Kree
Established Contributor

Try to get it in writing that they say you don't owe this debt due to "fraud".  Then you are free and clear even if they later turn around and say "wait a minute, you do indeed owe us money."   You did the right thing by trying to pay, but if they won't take your money, no reason to try to force them to.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the advice. I found a really great community.

I will call them later today to record the call to keep as evidence. I have not received anything in writing stating account closure thus far.

On another note, I searched avianca here on this site, and apparently this bank is the worst bank on the planet. At least I know that I wasn't the only one who is having problems.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.