Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH AMEX....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BE VERY CAREFUL WITH AMEX....

Thanks flygirl.  I know how you feel - I feel like I was suckerpunched!  I will email them - has anyone responded to your email?
Message 71 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

The whole thing BLOWS!!!!Smiley SurprisedSmiley SurprisedSmiley Tongue

Visual in smiley's is by design.Smiley Very Happy

Rob
Message 72 of 89
sl
Established Contributor

As mentioned earlier in the post, I had to do my taxes (there were on extension) incase they did a F/R of hubby (well, okay, they needed to be done anyway). Hubby has excellent credit 800+ so he is not in credit repair mode like most of us and does not stay current on what cc companies are doing.

I told him about AMEX's new gig of doing F/R and he was livid. His income alone is well over 6 figures plus his military pension. I asked what he would if he received a financial review from AMEX and he was not sure what he would do. He said that is an invasion of privacy. He said the only thing that he would provide is his W-2 from work and his 1099-R from his pension. Said the rest can be obtained on a CR. He actually went online and applied for a Visa with the bank we bank with and giving serious consideration to closing his account. He said he can use the $450 annual fee elsewhere.

Also, I thought of this last and wanted to post this as I am not sure how many people out there know. I am a tax accountant and have dealt with the IRS many of times. When people get a letter from the IRS that they are being audited, they cannot audit the whole return, the letter has to be VERY SPECIFIC on what they are doing the audit on and can only audit that part of the return, UNLESS they detect fraud. If fraud is suspected, it is a new game.

With that being said, if the IRS has guidelines, what makes AMEX think they are so special they can review everything and on their terms? I just don't get it.
Message 73 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been reading through posts concerning the power Amex is exercising on it's customers.  Don't allow ccc to get the upper hand.  They're there to help you and work for you.  NOT the other way around. 
Message 74 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

No offense to AMEX but they can get all the info they need from the CRs and it wouldn't be worth the hassle either for this crap.  I only have that Optima card, used it during my unemployment time $1k limit and am taking my time paying it back - $50/mo even though it doesn't ask for that much.

I won't ask for a CL because I'm not about to provide info.

Thanks for the info!  Sorry I missed a few days - one can miss a lot!
Message 75 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: F/R COMPLETE - BE VERY CAREFUL WITH AMEX....

Just wanted to update everyone since it seems that I was the first to get the FR...

My FR was initiated on 07/09.  They said it would take 10-12 business days.  It took 8 and I got the call this morning that it was complete.  All accounts suspensions have been released and there has been no change to my limits.  I reported my HHI as 103K and my personal tax return has 53K for last year, and still there was no issue and no further questions.  My total CL with them is 7K, and they said that they felt that my income of 53K was sufficient for the credit line I had.  I'll hit them up next year for an increase when my tax return is complete and has double the income. 

Good luck to everyone else.
Message 76 of 89
Cory
Established Contributor

smallfry wrote:
Jumping through hoops for a credit card? I'd tell them to shove the cards. This is how sub prime companies treat their customers. Get another lender.

I hear you. This is ridiculous news. Well, I can't say anything because AMEX denied me twice, lol.

But after reading all of this, I'll take another denial. Forget it walking away.................
Message 77 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

ekuzniar wrote:
Just wanted to update everyone since it seems that I was the first to get the FR...

My FR was initiated on 07/09.  They said it would take 10-12 business days.  It took 8 and I got the call this morning that it was complete.  All accounts suspensions have been released and there has been no change to my limits.  I reported my HHI as 103K and my personal tax return has 53K for last year, and still there was no issue and no further questions.  My total CL with them is 7K, and they said that they felt that my income of 53K was sufficient for the credit line I had.  I'll hit them up next year for an increase when my tax return is complete and has double the income. 

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Y'all will be the first to hear if I get a F/R (19-year customer who changed Green to Blue and refused to provide HHI, which means it is listed as 0, and they gave me a five-figure CL).
Message 78 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

ekuzniar wrote:

Thanks for sharing... Hoping mine turns out well also. I however am requesting the CLI as soon as the process is finished. IF income is the motivating factor here, my CL should be in the tens of thousands...

Rob
Message 79 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

FR Done all is well!

Got my call from Amex FR dept this morning letting me know that all my charging priveleges have been reinstated and no worries!Smiley Happy

I hit the CLI button online immediately following the call but got the 7-10 day message...Smiley Mad

Hope all is well for everyone else.

Rob
Message 80 of 89
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.