Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH AMEX....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BE VERY CAREFUL WITH AMEX....

If you have multiple Amex cards, it seems to be wisest to use them regularly.  Amex likes to see usage.  They apparently aren't fond of people who open multiple accounts and then don't use the cards.
Message 11 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

i was approved for the Delta over a month ago for $1k. I requested CLI, but wasn't granted. I asked for 2500. As soon as i got the card, I bought an airline ticket on that. Haven't used it since. however, instead of making a min of $15, i threw in $45 total for the first payment.. Now, last week, i got this card converted to Blue. I just hope i don't get FR'ed.
Message 12 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

Although the F/R seems to be a real pain in the butt I believe AMEX is just protecting their interest. They don't want to be known as 'just another card.' Therefore, they have to do things other banks/credit cards don't. They are, afterall, 'THE' card to have and that's quite obvious judging from the numerous posts here and on other boards about what it takes to get one. I believe if you're honest on your application then there is nothing to worry about.

Also, for the record I don't work for AMEX. Smiley Very Happy I received my AMEX Gold Rewards card about a month ago. Then I applied for and received my AMEX Starwoods 2 weeks later with an initial CL of $10,000 and hit the 'luv button' and received a $5000 CLI upon activation for a total CL of $15,000. I may as well go ahead and print and fill out my IRS form out now so I can be one step ahead of AMEX. From what I've been reading a F/R is probably in my not to distant future!

Message Edited by sunkysd on 07-12-2007 07:25 PM
Message 13 of 89
oracleicom
Valued Member

flygirl wrote:
I say that because I am now a proud (not) member of their Financial Review department!!! No worries, as I was nothing but honest on my applications.....was even granted CLI on two of them. Decided not to push my luck on the third card as far as a credit line increase....and I'll be damned if I didn't log on to my amex account today and in big bold red writing it stated for me to call the phone # on the back of my card. Called it, and low and behold....FINANCIAL REVIEW TIME. Was told to go to the IRS.gov website, print out a form, fill it out and fax it to them!!!! I haven't even charged over 100.00 dollars combined on all three cards!! And the only reason I charged anything, was so I could immediately pay it off and show them that I am  financially responsible!!!! Oh well....I guess I am off to the IRS website.....wish me luck!!!!!! So much for taking 2 steps forward.............Smiley Indifferent

Wow that sucks...no I'm a little worried...I overstated my income by about 15k since I included my fiancee's income (since it asked for HHI) Uh oh...I converted my Delta to Blue but recently got approved for the Starwood card...After reading this I don't think it's worth having another AMEX card with just 2k limit.  Would it be wise to cancel the Starwood account?? And is there any way to correct my annual pay with them???  Oh boy  Smiley Sad
Message 14 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you guys live under the same roof and share expenses and all that...i would consider your fiance's and your income, Total HHI. If that's the case, you didn't lie on your application. IMO
Message 15 of 89
SoulSmilen
Regular Contributor

But if all they use is last year's tax return, they won't see HHI. So hmmm... what gives?
Message 16 of 89
oracleicom
Valued Member

Irvin wrote:
if you guys live under the same roof and share expenses and all that...i would consider your fiance's and your income, Total HHI. If that's the case, you didn't lie on your application. IMO

Yeah we live under the same roof.  But I don't see how I would be able to prove her income Smiley Sad  And from what I'm reading it seems that AMEX is ruthless haha
Message 17 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

flygirl wrote:
I say that because I am now a proud (not) member of their Financial Review department!!! No worries, as I was nothing but honest on my applications.....was even granted CLI on two of them. Decided not to push my luck on the third card as far as a credit line increase....and I'll be damned if I didn't log on to my amex account today and in big bold red writing it stated for me to call the phone # on the back of my card. Called it, and low and behold....FINANCIAL REVIEW TIME. Was told to go to the IRS.gov website, print out a form, fill it out and fax it to them!!!! I haven't even charged over 100.00 dollars combined on all three cards!! And the only reason I charged anything, was so I could immediately pay it off and show them that I am  financially responsible!!!! Oh well....I guess I am off to the IRS website.....wish me luck!!!!!! So much for taking 2 steps forward.............Smiley Indifferent

Flygirl - I GOT THE SAME CALL TODAY!!!!???? I had to go to the IRS website and download a

4506-T form for them to pull my last tax return?? I just got my card two days ago. WTF? AND on top of that, I can't use my card until they are done with the review.

I was honest on my application as well, so I was quick to comply with the request, but my gosh, I just got my card in the mail day before yesterday! Do you think this will be the only time the FR process is done? Seems like it's more trouble than it is worth.

Rob
Message 18 of 89
oracleicom
Valued Member

FICO_Focused wrote:

flygirl wrote:

Flygirl - I GOT THE SAME CALL TODAY!!!!???? I had to go to the IRS website and download a

4506-T form for them to pull my last tax return?? I just got my card two days ago. WTF? AND on top of that, I can't use my card until they are done with the review.

I was honest on my application as well, so I was quick to comply with the request, but my gosh, I just got my card in the mail day before yesterday! Do you think this will be the only time the FR process is done? Seems like it's more trouble than it is worth.

Rob

How many AMEX cards do you have?  What are there limits?
Message 19 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

oracleicom wrote:

Irvin wrote:

Yeah we live under the same roof.  But I don't see how I would be able to prove her income Smiley Sad  And from what I'm reading it seems that AMEX is ruthless haha

i used mine and fiance's combined income also......I just plan on filling out 2 of those IRS forms...one for me, one for him. I'll also attach a note as to why I'm including both. I went back to the amex website and looked at the application, and it does ask for TOTAL HOUSEHOLD INCOME. We have lived together for 8 years (married by common law??? HAHA) and both of our paychecks go into the same account. Our address is of course the same on our tax returns.  But, yeah....bad taste in my mouth already with amex..........................
Message 20 of 89
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.