Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH AMEX....

tag
MercyMe
Frequent Contributor

Re: BE VERY CAREFUL WITH AMEX....

Smiley Very Happy  NWM, I've read a couple of posts on other boards where some have done just that!  It might be interesting to note that in a couple of instances when threatened with "You can have your cards, I'll just take my business elsewhere," the F/R was stopped.  However, in such cases those who were under review were long time card holders who deal in very high figures, so I wonder what their reaction would be to a newcomer with a menial Blue?  We'll see!  If I am F/R'd I fully intend to send in  a bit more than a tax form, anyway, though the tax form will most certainly substantiate the income I stated.  It's just not all mine, and that's what  troubles me.   And if they ask for bank statements?  Forget about it!  20% of the $2000?  HA!  But you know what?  Life goes on, does it not, and I can most certainly live without AmEx.  I mean, Look at me and my bad self!  TU Fico 704 and I did it without the prestige of Amex but with the muster of First Premier!  Smiley Wink

Message Edited by MercyMe on 07-14-2007 07:05 PM
Message 61 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

MercyMe wrote:
Smiley Very Happy  NWM, I've read a couple of posts on other boards where some have done just that!  It might be interesting to note that in a couple of instances when threatened with "You can have your cards, I'll just take my business elsewhere," the F/R was stopped.  However, in such cases those who were under review were long time card holders who deal in very high figures, so I wonder what their reaction would be to a newcomer with a menial Blue?  We'll see!  If I am F/R'd I fully intend to send in  a bit more than a tax form, anyway, though the tax form will most certainly substantiate the income I stated.  It's just not all mine, and that's what  troubles me.   And if they ask for bank statements?  Forget about it!  20% of the $2000?  HA!  But you know what?  Life goes on, does it not, and I can most certainly live without AmEx.  I mean, Look at me and my bad self!  TU Fico 704 and I did it without the prestige of Amex but with the muster of First Premier!  Smiley Wink

Message Edited by MercyMe on 07-14-2007 07:05 PM

You go girl with your 704 score!! Wonder why they are worried with little ole' me.....I think my combined AMEX limit is 8000.000.....and would never max that out. Oh well! I can live without them too!!! And i can/ will also keep all this in mind when I'm 40 years old, making lots more money, my scores are superb and they are begging for my business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 62 of 89
MercyMe
Frequent Contributor

Re: credit freeze?

That's a good question.  I wouldn't know, but it would be well worth finding out, huh?  Perhaps that's why those who come under review prefer to just close out their accounts.  On a brighter note, I heard last night, that should you close out accounts pending review, you can always reapply for the same cards, at any time, or have them reinstated.  I might also add, that way back when (20 years ago) we had the business gold cards, but shut them down when we ran into financial trouble.  We were never reviewed, during that time.

Message Edited by MercyMe on 07-15-2007 04:45 AM
Message 63 of 89
smallfry
Senior Contributor

If AMEX had asked for the financials upfront like some credit union do I would be OK with them. But they don't. AMEX can stuff their cards there are many other prime lenders out there.
Message 64 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was a Green Card "member since 1988."  Perfect payment record.  Never charged a large amount. Recently decided to move on up to Blue.  They did a hard pulll.

I refused to provide my HHI. I got a bit of pushback, but they gave me the card.  Who knows how they came up with the CL. I called to request a CLI.  Again, I refused to give HHI.  They hemmed and hawed but eventually gave a slightly lower amount (but still nearly twice the original CL).  I probably will never use more than 0.1% of that CL.

If that want to do a FR, they'll lose a 20-year customer.  Ain't no way they are getting tax returns, bank statements, etc.  If they were stupid enough to give me a card without HHI data, well then ....

Message Edited by masdeocho on 07-16-2007 11:03 AM
Message 65 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

fused111 wrote:

Lori344 wrote:

flygirl wrote:

....I personally think it's because I applied for 3 cards all within a matter of a week, and then turned around and asked for CLI on two of them.....

Flygirl, sorry you're having to go through this hassle. I hope it all turns out ok.  I was thinking the same thing, most that were hit with the FR are the one that applied for several cards.

I only applied for one, but I did ask for a cli upon activation. I'm getting ready to go to Hawaii and use the h*ll out of it, (pay it off when i get home) so keep you fingers crossed for me.

Sorry for threadjacking! I live in Hawaii and you will need a 25K CL just to pay for your food! A McDonalds lunch in Waikiki costs $10.Smiley Surprised

Too funny fused!!! My hubby is a GM of a Sheraton Hotel, so I get the "starhot rate" and 50% off food and beverage. So I get a little break. Smiley Wink I've already hit the card for about 60% (twice) of the cl and paid it off before flying out in the morning. I also called Amx to upgrade my insurance on the rental car (my 23 year old son will be driving it too) and to let them know if a ton is charged on their card in the next week, it's just me.... having a great time in Hawaii!!!!! Smiley Very Happy (wanted to give them a heads up so they didn't put up a fraud alert)

As for all the other overpriced activities in Hawaii, most of them are already paid for but, I'm bringing cash and all of my cc's ....they are paid to zero and wide open, whoooo hooooo!

Message Edited by Lori344 on 07-15-2007 12:20 PM
Message 66 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just thought I would share that I was approved for a Costco Amex in October with a 2k limit.  I had some emergencies and have carried a balance of about $1100 recently (paying it off next month).  My HHI is $143k and I did not overstate during the application process.  I was 100% honest.   I got a letter about 3 weeks ago from Amex stating that my limit had been decreased based on new info provided by TU.  I suppose this is another form of F/R (they did not ask for proof of income, tax returns, etc.).  I know for a fact that my TU FICO has increased about 50 points since I was approved for the card (they pulled TU).  I have nothing new in terms of negative information on my CR- the only new thing is that my score has increased and balances overall have decreased since the time I got the card.  I called the number provided on the letter, spoke to a rep who advised me to fax the summary page of my TU report and they would take another look.  I called to follow-up a week later and the rep I spoke to was rude - said it was based on info from TU and that the decision was final and that I could ask for the original limit to be reinstated in 90 days.  I was frustrated so I have not pushed the issue again but no one seems to be able to explain the specific reason for the decision.  The reason codes factoring into my TU score are the same ones that existed in October - which they saw prior to approving me for the card.  I just do not see how they feel they have the right to pull something like this after being a customer for 8 months.  I could understand if I lied about my info, and they caught it - then they would be justified.  I always pay on time, pay more than the minimum or pay in full.  I have other cards with much higher limits and have never experienced an issue like this.  Crazy.
Message 67 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent them an email earlier and stated that if this financial review did not cease immediately that I would pull myself from being a cardholder and take my business elsewhere. I also informed them that they were being highly scrutinized by the public and that should maybe check out the info at the credit forums that are being written about them. I also told them that if they did not end this FR that I would no longer accept there cards at my place of business......mark my words. I could really care less at this point whether my wallet has their card in it or not..................and I dare them to ask for any more info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 68 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually indicated the same thing in my letter to them - they did not seem phased.  I think I am going to call this week and ask to speak to a supervisor.  They act as if I am stealing from them or something.  I really don't want to close the card because I love Costco and love that I get a rebate for what I spend.  What's the email address you used to send your complaint?
Message 69 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

focused07 wrote:
I actually indicated the same thing in my letter to them - they did not seem phased.  I think I am going to call this week and ask to speak to a supervisor.  They act as if I am stealing from them or something.  I really don't want to close the card because I love Costco and love that I get a rebate for what I spend.  What's the email address you used to send your complaint?

Hey.....sorry to reply so late. I logged on to my account on the internet, and to the right of your account info, there's a place that says "email" ......just click on that and express yourself. They may not be phased by my email.....but I feel better!!! I know, they do make ya feel like a criminal, and at first my feelings were hurt, then I became angry, and now I could really give a rats a@# what they doSmiley Wink
Message 70 of 89
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.