cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK filing date or discharge date. Which counts.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BK filing date or discharge date. Which counts.

Wondering if anyone knows the answer to this.  My BK was filed in May 2001. I went to BK court on July 10th 2001 and got the judgement, but the actual discharge paper is signed in Sept 2001.  Which date actually counts?  I have always thought it was the filing date if the BK is approved. Am I wrong? My TU credit report shows Date reported: 5/2001 and Status date: 9/2001. Experian shows Date filed: May 31, 2001 and Status date: 9/2001.  Equifax shows Date filed: May 01, 2001 and Status: Discharged CH-7.  Anyone have any insight?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BK filing date or discharge date. Which counts.

I did some more digging and think I may have more information that may be usefull to someone else.  I was reading a guide for filing bankruptcy without a lawyer that explains the process a bit better than I understood it.  For a CH 7, apparently when I filed for the BK, (in my case) that kicked off a "Stay". During the stay, creditors cannot take action against the debtor such as lawsuits, attempts to collect or phone calls. There are exceptions, but they are for very specific issues.  If a discharge is granted, that overtakes the Stay, but the end result is the same.

Hope this helps someone else. I think it confirms in my mind that Homecomings Financial is wrong for listing multiple late comments on my CR's "after" my filing and discharge.  Now I just have to get them to remove them or wait another year or year and a half for them to drop off of their own.

Message Edited by KevKaos on 06-22-2007 10:01 AM
Message 2 of 3
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: BK filing date or discharge date. Which counts.

As far as when it goes bye bye on your credit reports it is the filing date to watch.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.