bengalih

BOA new Accounts and ChexSystems

Hi all -

I'm looking at opening a new account at BoA.  I was worried that they might do a hard pull so I called 3 different branches in the area.

All told me no hard pull, with 2 going so far to tell me what they do is use ChexSystems.

I see quite a few older posts (pre-2009) that seem to indicate that BoA did do hard pulls (sometimes with or after a ChexSystem pull).

How much faith can I put in what they are telling me (ChexSystem only)?  And is a ChexSystem pull safe regarding my credit score?

Thanks!

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: BOA new Accounts and ChexSystems

Always assume that the credit-related CSR giving the advice is wrong. IME, they are wrong. I opened a checking and a savings on different days and a hard inquiry was placed for each. Now that was in 2007 and maybe they change, though I doubt it.

A Chex pull has no bearing on your credit. Chex is it's own CRA.

bengalih

Yeah I have found a lot of posts from 2007 and 2009 stating various institutions were doing hard pulls - BoA listed among them.  But, I haven't seen anything recent that claims they still do that.

I wonder if they got wise to the fact that people don't like thier credit being pulled.  Both of the reps that mentioned CreditChex did so without me urging - they seemed to know exactly what I was talking about and said they just did a CreditChex with my SSN and no hard pull or other credit inquiry was done.

I'm hoping someone with fairly recent accounts can chime in on their experience.

thanks.

p.s.  Do I have any recourse if they do a pull after telling me they wouldn't?

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

bengalih wrote:

p.s.  Do I have any recourse if they do a pull after telling me they wouldn't?

There are a lot of posts in here concerning other creditors whereby the creditor swore to the customer that there would be no hard pull, only to there be a hard pull. Make the assumption that they are wrong. Get any promise for a soft pull/no pull in writing. Only then would you have recourse, otherwise it would be your word against theirs.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+