Did you mean: 

BOA vs Discover checkings/savings

tag
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

Re: BOA vs Discover checkings/savings

@lg8302ch wrote:

@subwaysandwich wrote:

Does anyone have a combination of the two? I've been using BOA for 5 years and I'm finally deciding that I'm not going to pay the $12 monthly fee, which is kind of ridiculous if I think about it.. Is Discover just as reliable? Thanks!

I have both accounts and they both offer pretty much the same service. My BofA checking account does  not come  with any monthly fees. The only fee I would pay is the 12$ for incoming international wires (per wire) and Discover is offering this free of charge thru BNY Mellon.  Both offer bill pay and mobile deposits. Debit card for free and Discover offers even free paper checks.  The only thing I experience with Discover bank is that their website quite often is down on week ends or at night  for maintenance and this is something I never experienced with BofA.

What you also might consider is the Fidelity Cash Management account. Looks pretty nice to me but I have not tested much yet.  As I would like to app for the Fidelity Amex I figured I will open it now and be ready for next year Smiley Happy But would consider it anytime as my checking account.

Was it an HP to open your Discover Checking account?

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 11 of 13
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@14Fiesta wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@subwaysandwich wrote:

Does anyone have a combination of the two? I've been using BOA for 5 years and I'm finally deciding that I'm not going to pay the $12 monthly fee, which is kind of ridiculous if I think about it.. Is Discover just as reliable? Thanks!

I have both accounts and they both offer pretty much the same service. My BofA checking account does  not come  with any monthly fees. The only fee I would pay is the 12$ for incoming international wires (per wire) and Discover is offering this free of charge thru BNY Mellon.  Both offer bill pay and mobile deposits. Debit card for free and Discover offers even free paper checks.  The only thing I experience with Discover bank is that their website quite often is down on week ends or at night  for maintenance and this is something I never experienced with BofA.

What you also might consider is the Fidelity Cash Management account. Looks pretty nice to me but I have not tested much yet.  As I would like to app for the Fidelity Amex I figured I will open it now and be ready for next year Smiley Happy But would consider it anytime as my checking account.

Was it an HP to open your Discover Checking account?

Oh sorry ...did not see until today. No it was only a SP and probably Chex as well.  The account is named Cash back checking.

Message 12 of 13
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't know anything about Discover banking, but you know that BoA has totally FEE FREE checking account, provided you promise to never enter a branch (do everything online and use their ATM's).  That's what I do, and since their tellers are no great beauties, I prefer their ATMs, anyway.

Lmao. You mean you go to look at tellers. WthSmiley Happy

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.