Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back Taxes and Tax Lien assistance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Back Taxes and Tax Lien assistance

I am working on a back tax situation of my husband's.  He had some back taxes that he owes from a time before he met me.  I had started working the the IRS agent and have already given her information that she requested - pay stubs, tax returns for two different years that he didnt file, a breakdown of household expenses since his paycheck is put into the same account as my paycheck and I pay all bills from there.  I received a phone call from her last week stating that paperwork was being sent but that they expect at least $200 payment per month, for how long I do not know yet.  He owed around maybe $7K for federal and maybe $1K for state (who I have not yet begun to work with).  I was under the impression that as long as we were contacting them and working with them after their final notice before a tax lien was filed - that they would not file the tax lien.  I noticed over the weekend that the tax lien is already showing on his credit report.  I need to find out what I need to do, if I have any options since I have already turned information over to them - and any organizations out there that I can get free/reduced assistance from.  We are a family of 6 (4 kids) on a budget, living paycheck to paycheck.  I am not sure how I am going to squeeze $200 a month after bills, food, gas, etc.
Thanks

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Back Taxes and Tax Lien assistance

@Anonymous wrote:

I am working on a back tax situation of my husband's.  He had some back taxes that he owes from a time before he met me.  I had started working the the IRS agent and have already given her information that she requested - pay stubs, tax returns for two different years that he didnt file, a breakdown of household expenses since his paycheck is put into the same account as my paycheck and I pay all bills from there.  I received a phone call from her last week stating that paperwork was being sent but that they expect at least $200 payment per month, for how long I do not know yet.  He owed around maybe $7K for federal and maybe $1K for state (who I have not yet begun to work with).  I was under the impression that as long as we were contacting them and working with them after their final notice before a tax lien was filed - that they would not file the tax lien.  I noticed over the weekend that the tax lien is already showing on his credit report.  I need to find out what I need to do, if I have any options since I have already turned information over to them - and any organizations out there that I can get free/reduced assistance from.  We are a family of 6 (4 kids) on a budget, living paycheck to paycheck.  I am not sure how I am going to squeeze $200 a month after bills, food, gas, etc.
Thanks

Welcome to the forums.  

Im sorry to hear of your troubles.  If $200 is too much to afford now you just have to be upfront with them and tell them.  I've dealt with them before and while they have a bad reputation I always found that they will work with you.  You need to get them to set up a payment plan that you can afford and stick to it.  Once you have a payment plan opinion placee you can file IRS a Form 12277 to gave the lien removed from his credit file.  Another option that you/he has is an Offer in Compromise where you settle with thrm for an overall lower total.  Normally though this is used for much higher tax amounts.  I have linked the Withdrawal Form below.  Good luck.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f12277.pdf

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.