Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back to school with existing debt?

tag
tacpoly
Established Contributor

Re: Back to school with existing debt?

Please please please do NOT go to grad school for the sake of getting more degrees. The increasing (opportunity) costs and decreasing rewards mean one should think hard before starting such an undertaking. I am in a field that pretty much requires a PhD, but there are so many PhDs being produced that new ones are being hired for jobs that used to be given to BS level employees. This means the work isn't immediately intellectually or financially rewarding (and may never be).

A PhD in engineering is hardly ever required unless one wants to go into academia. An MS or MEng would be better, but it has to be from the right program.

My suggestion is to walk into college with your eyes open: have a goal, a realistic plan to achieve that goal, and work your hardest to implement that plan. You already know the cost of going astray. Good luck!
Message 11 of 12
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Re: Back to school with existing debt?

@tacpoly wrote:
Please please please do NOT go to grad school for the sake of getting more degrees. The increasing (opportunity) costs and decreasing rewards mean one should think hard before starting such an undertaking. I am in a field that pretty much requires a PhD, but there are so many PhDs being produced that new ones are being hired for jobs that used to be given to BS level employees. This means the work isn't immediately intellectually or financially rewarding (and may never be).

A PhD in engineering is hardly ever required unless one wants to go into academia. An MS or MEng would be better, but it has to be from the right program.

My suggestion is to walk into college with your eyes open: have a goal, a realistic plan to achieve that goal, and work your hardest to implement that plan. You already know the cost of going astray. Good luck!

The comment I made was about chemistry in particular - I thought I mentioned that. In a pure science, often the advanced degree is required to have a wider range of higher-paying and more interesting job opportunities. I specifically did not mention engineering advanced degrees because the B.S. is more typically what employers are looking for.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.