cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back with Amex

tag
deelove

Back with Amex

Just wanted to thank the forum for the advice I received. In my late 20's I was blessed with an Amex Platinum approval. Being young, I did not cherish the priviledge and did not like the increase in the fee, in addition, I went back to school so money was tight. Long story short the Amex was charged off. The rep told me I can pay the balance in full or take the charge off and never, I repeat, never be an Amex member again. That was true for many years and many attempts. After years of spotless credit I am back in their graces. I applied for a Delta Gold Amex in late November and was approved. Taking advice from the forum, I applied for the Gold Premier Rewards one month later and was approved. My scores were from the high 600's to high 700's. Just wanted to encourage people to keep it clean and Amex will accept you back.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Back with Amex

Congrats on the approval !!   Did your new AMEX cards get backdated to your prior account ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 9
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

Congratulations!!!

I have burned Amex in the past  for about $2000 (about 8 years ago) due to unfortunate circumstances.

i have been rebuilding for the past few years and would love to get back to them, but not sure if they would approve me, even though I do get their pre approvals once in a while.

How long ago was your chargeoff?

Congrats again!

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 9
codesingh
Regular Contributor

I have the same situation. They have my 9 year old record that says "cancelled". Just like deelove, I was young and didn't cherish the privilege of having an Amex account. Now I can manage to pay off that amount but it would be nice if they make my 9 year old account current. It will be great to gain 9 years in AAoA.

Please let us know.

Did your new AMEX cards get backdated to your prior account?

~ 100k in Rev CC. 15k Credit Line. 16.5k Car Loan(@1.7%) Starting scores: 690 EQ (Dec 2012) Mid-year FICO scores April ‘13 Pulled by lenders(Barclays, Amex): TU 747 • EQ 752 • EX 746 • Scores As of Nov 2013: 740 and above across the board.
Message 4 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@codesingh wrote:

I have the same situation. They have my 9 year old record that says "cancelled". Just like deelove, I was young and didn't cherish the privilege of having an Amex account. Now I can manage to pay off that amount but it would be nice if they make my 9 year old account current. It will be great to gain 9 years in AAoA.

Please let us know.

Did your new AMEX cards get backdated to your prior account?

I doubt that AMEX would reopen your old account even if you paid ~ however assuming that you can open a new account after paying, it should be backdated to your original member since date.

Message 5 of 9
codesingh
Regular Contributor

Hello Pizzadude / All

When Amex cancelled my account, the never reported to any of the CRAs and neither did they send my account out to external collection agency.

What can you guess would happen if I pay off the cancelled account, in terms of reporting? 

Will Amex report a 9-years-old delinquent account which they never reported to any of the CRAs? Is there some sort of industry rule which may mandate Amex to report such event?

~ 100k in Rev CC. 15k Credit Line. 16.5k Car Loan(@1.7%) Starting scores: 690 EQ (Dec 2012) Mid-year FICO scores April ‘13 Pulled by lenders(Barclays, Amex): TU 747 • EQ 752 • EX 746 • Scores As of Nov 2013: 740 and above across the board.
Message 6 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@codesingh wrote:

Hello Pizzadude / All

When Amex cancelled my account, the never reported to any of the CRAs and neither did they send my account out to external collection agency.

What can you guess would happen if I pay off the cancelled account, in terms of reporting? 

Will Amex report a 9-years-old delinquent account which they never reported to any of the CRAs? Is there some sort of industry rule which may mandate Amex to report such event?

The account is well past the credit reporting time period ( CRTP ), which is 7 to 7.5 years from the date of first deliquency of the account.

AMEX is known to hold on to old accounts, but it shouldn't show on your reports even if you pay it now.

Message 7 of 9
codesingh
Regular Contributor

Sorry to distract but still waiting to hear back from deelove...

Pelase let us know what Pizzadude queried earlier in the chain.

"Congrats on the approval !!   Did your new AMEX cards get backdated to your prior account ?"

Thanks in advance...

Message 8 of 9
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

@codesingh wrote:

Sorry to distract but still waiting to hear back from deelove...

Pelase let us know what Pizzadude queried earlier in the chain.

"Congrats on the approval !!   Did your new AMEX cards get backdated to your prior account ?"

Thanks in advance...

+1

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.