Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfers???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance Transfers???

My brother just called me and said he owes a friend $4500 he barrowed as a short term loan.  Ahe just got approved for a citi card(not sure which one) for $12500. His friend cash advanced a card to give him the money. can he BT from his card to some eles card?  I don't want to get him in any trouble. that is why we are asking.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: Balance Transfers???

I've wondered the same out of curiosity.  

What he can do is have the balance transfer issued to himself as a check.  Same transaction fee (if any) same interest rate (if any).  They will EFT it right into his checking account and he can pay back his friend.  Then he'll pay it off just like any other balance transfer.  And no, to anyone wondering, this is totally different than a cash advance.  Most CC reps know about this but if the one he gets does not, a supervisor will. 

I do it all the time between my Chase cards for big purchases when I want to lock in a rate lower than the purchase rate on the credit card.  Usually they have a no transaction offer with 3.99 ... much better than the standard APR! 
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. You are true to your handle...SmartCookie.
Message 3 of 6
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Thanks so-confused!  Hope it helps and your compliment is very much appreciated today   Smiley Happy
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 4 of 6
Takunda1
Established Contributor

I once did a BT on my girlfriends a/c. I don't think cc care who or where the BT is going as long as they get their money back. I believe a BT also has a much lower interest rate than a cash advance.
Message 5 of 6
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Takunda1 wrote:
I once did a BT on my girlfriends a/c. I don't think cc care who or where the BT is going as long as they get their money back. I believe a BT also has a much lower interest rate than a cash advance.

Hugely less yes.  Great to see it didn't get booted out for whatever reason.  Personally, I don't see why there would be anything illegal or unethical about it... so this is good to know that it has been done.  Thanks for the input!!! 
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.